We lost our Great Paranese

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozarkyehti, Apr 22, 2005.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

We moved into our little farm almost 2 years ago. On moving in day a GP that was dumped thought it would move in with us.

We named her Judy. She was really, really skinny and weak. We took her to the vet and the vet estimated her at 3-3 1/2 years old. She only wieghed 65lbs.

This was in the fall, and the vet said she would probably starve during the winter.

Anyway, Judy became our favorite dog out of all seven that we have. She was so layed back and loving. She was our great big huggable polar bear.

Well, with lots of work, we got her up to 110- 125 lbs. She was looking great and feeling good. She kept the coyotes back and patroled our property,just like a Graet Paraynees is supposed to do.

It was always a pleasure to find her waiting on the porch for us in the morning. She was the most lovable, devoted dog.

For two days she hadn't come home for breakfast, so I took a walk back on our back forty.

There she was, someone had shot a killed her. She tried to make it home, dragging herself within 100 yards of our place.
    Well, I wrapped her up in a tarp and dragged her home, dug her grave and buried her behind the barn.

It just makes me angry, that our beloved Judy was on her own property and some tresspasser, elligally on my property, shoots and kills my dog, on my own property.

We have not found out who would have done this, maybe it is better that way, I don't know what I would do to the tresspasser!!!!

2. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I am so aorry. We too lost our dog in Feb. he was 15, a neighbors dog got loose and killed him. They become such a big part of the family that it is very hard when on is lost. Know that he is romping with all the others that have gone before him.
    steff

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

im sry thats very sad i would love to use some people for target practice and i know thats not right but that is truly the way i feel its realy not as hard as you think to shoot someone

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

What a heart breaker! I'm so sorry! I love all of our dogs to pieces as well but our Pyr is also a family favorite. There is something so appealing about those loveable giants. :waa:

5. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

I know exactly how you're feeling, and if you're like me- it definitely is better that you don't know who did it!

6. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

I'm so sorry to hear this.
    I don't know what else to say.
    Angie

7. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

My condolences on your loss... I know how much it hurts to loose part of your family. And, it is best you dont know who did it.

8. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

That is so sad. I love the breed, and at one time I had 3 of these beauties. They lived within our enclosed 2 acres, patrolled the fences, and were so beautiful. One man had a very dark soul and threw poisoned hot dogs over the fence. We lost them that day, and they died a cruel death. I only know these mean spirited people will have to answer to a higher power some day, and will be taken to task for their cruelty. The man who did this was caught, he was never made to pay for the animals, but a tiny child got hold of one of the poisoned hot dogs. Thank God she had observant parents.She was not harmed.I do not understand these people. They even shoot farmers horses and cows in the field for sport. I would love to send them to a deserted island covered with fire ants, but cover them with honey first.

9. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

If I had a super power I would have one that allows me to transfer the feelings and thought from one person to another, so that they can truely walk in anothr persons shoes. Just for a minute, just long enough, so that a child abuser and a con artist and dog killers will know what it feels like to be helpless, at someone elses mercy, and most likely in uncontrolable pain.

I am soo sorry for your loss.

10. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Everyone else has spoken well. I'll just add that as a life-long dog lover I hope I empathise and regret your situation. Stand strong, walk tall, carry on.

11. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

ahhhhh,, a texans revenge.... that would truely but a just punishment.

12. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

I am sorry for your loss...how sad. Dogs can be such important members of the family.
    If only all human beings were as good as our dogs.
    I can only imagine the sadness and rage I would feel if someone shot one of my dogs on my property.

13. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. It's bad enough that our best friends don't live nearly long enough, without someone murdering them.I would be glad that I didn't know who might have done this. I'm not sure what I would do if I Knew who it was.

14. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry. The same thing happened to my friend's Newfoundland, killed by a tresspassing hunter.

Your Judy probably barked at the fellow, who thought she was going to kill him. That's a big dog and many people are afraid of dogs to begin with. Maybe you need to add "Beware of Dogs" to your no tresspassing signs.

15. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'd say that you should add ''Beware Of Armed Owner Who Will Shoot Tresspassers That Shoot at my Animals'' & add ''survivors will be shot again''!

16. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I'd say that you should add ''Beware Of Armed Owner Who Will Shoot Tresspassers That Shoot at my Animals'' & add ''survivors will be shot again''!

Amen to that!!!

17. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

I don't think those people can read.

18. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Awww ((((((ozarkyehti)))))) my utmost sympathy... how heartbreaking.

I hope you called the Sheriff. We take trespassing VERY seriously around here.

19. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I am so sorry for the loss of your Pyr :waa: -- and grinding my teeth in white-hot anger :grump: at trespassers who have the unmitigated gall to shoot a landowner's dog!!!

Second Shepherd on calling the sheriff.

And second on the {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}, too.

Pony!