Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today an hour or two after feeding, we went out and found Ellie very ill. She was weak and in obvious pain. She appeared to have discharge and her temperature was very low. I took her to the vet immediately. He said she had the fast pneumonia and there was nothing he could do, she died a couple minutes later. He did give her a shot and it had no effect. He did give me a vaccine to vaccinate all the other animals that were around her. He told me that she was contagious, but if the others were vaccinated immediately, the chances were good that they would be fine. The cause was probably due to the drastic weather changes yesterday we were near 50 and dropped to -15 during the night. She appeared fine at feeding time. That is how it works, they are fine and suddenly within an hour or two they are gone. Apparently her temperature dropped, she began aborting and finally passed within a short period of time. When we found her, she could get to her feet and stood steady, within 15 minutes, we had to carry her and she could barely lift her head...20 minutes later she was gone.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
I am so sorry!!! We just lost a favorite doe last week. It is so hard.

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
That is terribly sad, I'm so sorry. I sure wish more was known about things like this with goats. :(

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,444 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. What an awful shock for you. Your Ellie was a pretty girl. ((hugs))

NeHi

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've seen pneumonia kill that fast before- I'm sorry you lost her. They can be healthy one minute and gasping the next.

NuFluor would be the drug of choice to use at the first sign of anything amiss.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We vaccinated everyone yesterday. When we went out later our ram was down and acting off, he had discharge from his nose. He was vaccinated and I immediately have him a shot of nuflor. I checked on him around 11pm and he was in his house, but came out when he saw me. Soooo, I'm crossing my fingers all is well this morning when I go out. The temperatures are currently -11, so I am going to wait for sun up before going out. I did give all the girls extra deep bedding last night and I moved the ewe out of the rams pen and in with the girls. They have all been together before and get along fine. I just didn't want anything the ram may have to transfer to Ethel our pregnant ewe. She was due to be moved anyway, she is due to lamb next month.

Thank you all for your thoughts, Ellie was a very sweet and quiet goat. She was the one that broke her leg and never, ever cried out, not once. So to hear her cry out, I knew immediately it was very bad. Usually, I can handle most any illness, but not this. I have seen this pnuemonia before, but I happened to catch it the very moment the animal went down and was able to save it. It was our ewe Ethel. We spent 2 months getting her well and many times I thought she was gone. It is something that if not caught absolutely immediately, they don't stand a chance and then it is very unlikely they recover.

The vaccine is very inexpensive and if you have the variant temperatures we have, then your animals SHOULD BE VACCINATED. It isn't a sure thing, nothing is, but it increases their chances drastically. I thought only the young ones needed the vaccine, I thought the older ones were resistant...I was wrong and we lost Ellie. So, if you aren't vaccinating, ask you vet about it.

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry. It's extra heartbreaking that it happened so fast. Temps are dropping fast around here. I'll give my goats an extra hug today in honor of Ellie.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I am so sorry. I have been there and done that. Its so hard to lose them. Why is that goats wrap themselves so tightly around our hearts. I haven't figured that out yet. I do feel for you. Hope all is well this morning. It got to -35 windchill here last night.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Minelson, there are several different ones available. The one I used is this one

http://www.hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=4265&cat=136&page=1

It was all the vet had. We did some searching through his catalogs and he is going to get some in specific for goats and sheep. He only had the one designated for cattle. But, when we checked the exact same one was made for sheep and goats with appropriate dosages on the label. As I said before, it is cheap, too cheap not to use it. Even if a vaccinated animal contracts the disease, it would more than likely be mild and not fatal. It does require 2 shots. The initial and a booster 2-4 weeks later.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Thanks for the info on this Starsmom....After the first and second shot, Then does it require a booster every year?
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts