we have our first calf today

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by andy gingery, Jun 4, 2006.

1. andy gingery

andy gingery Member

we had our first calf today .we did run in to trouble not with the heifer it was the bull .he was pushing the young heifer calf around an i really thout he was going to kill the calf .i picked up a rock and had to hit him with it to get him away from the little calf. he had it on the ground an rolling it like it was a ball.the calf is fine. doing real good. had to keep an eye one every thing till the bull went an stood by the fence for a while then every thing was ok. i never knew that a bull would ack like this towads a new calf .my heart was pounding real hard all the time this was going on. real glad the bull got his head on strait. i told the wife if it dont stop soon we will have a frezer full of bull meat . we always learn some thing new an sometimes i could really wait to learn what i have to learn.

2. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! Double congratulations on it being a heifer!!! Triple congratulations that you were able to knock some sense into the bull!!!

3. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Last year when Ginger calved, I just had the notion that I had to keep our 14 mo old bull away from the newborn, and so put him in our smaller pen. Then decided to sell the new bull calf because Ginger got very defensive towards her new one, and I figured I was gonna have a time of it trying to get her milked. He was outta here in about 7 hours time, and has lived about 1/2 mile away but nearly in sight of here ever since!