Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight my husband shot a very nice bodied 7 point buck! It is his first buck and he is soooo excited! I am excited because soon we will have a full freezer! Yum!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,634 Posts
:rock: :buds: Congrats on the Buck!

big rockpile

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
isn't that a good feeling? I tell you it just makes me feel good to stand there and look at the freezers full of meat. I've put up 4 this year so far but two of them were very small so I wouldn't mind another one.

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
Congratulations! Yum Yum! Make some sausage...venison sausage is one of our favorites.

·
Formerly Kathleen in AR
1,050 Posts
My son in Arkansas called last night to tell me he shot a six-point. He was pretty pleased. So last night I was dreaming that he was telling me that it's very important for me to learn how to gut and cut up a deer. lol

I woke up ready to go. :D Then I realized that I'm still in the Keys and there is no deer hunting here. Guess that's anther reason to move. :)

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Congratulations! Always nice putting up the meat isn't it?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I know the feeling. Here in Wisconsin, the deer harvest is down 10-50% based on where you are.

I have been out every day since the 22nd.

FINALLY today, I picked up two antlerless deer.

Now we eat good. We have found that with venison, we can raise a beef, sell half to cover our costs and keep the other half. The venison fills in just where we would be short of beef over the course of the year.

Tell him well done!!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Been a mixed season here. I filled all of my doe tags about an hour after the opening of the season. Two does and a button buck (antlerless that looked like a doe until you looked close) came strolling by my stand so I plugged all three. Spent the rest of the season looking for a particular buck that I'd seen on the farm but came away empty handed. Seen dozens of does and several shooter bucks but not the big 15 that I'd wanted.

Best part was taking a youngster out. Got him a nice 8 point and two does.

Later this month we have another antlerless season. I'm going to use my leftover tag and get two more doe tags. I want to make one into sausage, one into burger and jerky and the other is going to be worked up for a needy family. I'll probably send along some of my burger and sausage to them too.

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Congrats to your DH....

Today is our 1st day of rifle Buck season.... So I've got fingers crossed & prayers being said....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts