We have loofah!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by countrygrrrl, Sep 4, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Now, granted, I've been admiring the loofah flowers for several weeks (as have the hummingbirds and bees), but other than watering and giving the plants a quick once-over for gnawing pests, haven't really had the chance to give them a good look.

Til this morning.

:yeeha:

And I am pleased to announce I will have enough homegrown loofah (and then some) for Christmas presents this year.

:cool:

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Cool! You can make some soap and homemade bath salts etc to go with em!

3. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Congrats!
    I am stupid :haha: . I have been gardening for years..... I just figured out this winter that loofas were a plant :no: . I am not kidding. I thought they were from the sea like sea sponges...ROFL.
    I wanted to try to grow them but couldnt find the room or time.

Have fun,
    Kathy

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Kitty, you and everyone else! I had no idea they didn't grow in coral reefs or deep blue ponds or whatever. And a lot of the most plant savvy people I know had no idea, either! :haha:

It's been fun saying to people "Well, my loofah plants are looking pretty good!" only to be met by a look of total confusion and lots of "But ... but ... but I thought loofah etc."

Cyngbaeld, I'm thinking homemade bath ... something. ? Delicately scented with rose and jasmine. :yeeha:

5. Cyngbaeld

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek:

Well. Wonder how loofah casserole would go over at a potluck?

:D

7. Cyngbaeld

8. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Well have to admit I never have seen them in the produce dept. They probably dont put them there to keep the produce managers from having to answer the "How stupid are you?" :haha:

Kathy

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Kathy, we're having a big family reunion about 20 mis from here in a few weeks. With any luck, I'll still have loofah fruit ... because my plan right now is to make a loofah casserole to take to our annual Reunion Potluck.

:haha:

10. Cyngbaeld

And you are going to carry the dish around the table and say 'ant susy, try some of this, no, I won't take no for an answer, uncle billy bob, here, you look like you need some of this wonderful cassarole, no really, you have to try it....'

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:D

That's the plan! :haha:

12. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Kathy, I dont have much room either but i grow them. I have a very large old cedar tree in my yard and so i plant my loofahs by it on one side and it takes off and grows right up the tree about 30 feet high!!!! :eek: It is an awesome site...and it looks like the cedar has bright yellow blooms all over it. When the vines die, the loofahs fall to the ground. We love it. We also grow birdhouse gourds that way too. We usually alternate, loofahs one year , gourds the next, then loofahs again. (one years worth usually lasts us 2 years).
    Ours grow up on a cedar tree, but i do believ that they would grow up any trees or large bushes that you might already have.

Belinda

13. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Yeah, Uncle Billy Bob, it's good for you! Especially if you haven't had a movement lately. What? Why Uncle Billy Bob, you wash your back with it and what you have left over you eat. Sure, Uncle Billy Bob, it'll have you regular in no time at all roughage is the #1 cure for being full of it.

Sorry, I just couldn't help meself! :haha:

14. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
    BooBoo

15. tonto

tonto Well-Known Member

I tried growing loofa this year, but all but one of the plants died. I moved
    the living one to a 5 gallon container in the garden. Not sure what I did
    wrong.

Last year I grew birdhouse gourds and they did very well. I was hoping to
    do the every other year routine with the loofas and and birdhouse gourds
    also, but I don't think it's going to work for me. Sigh.

-tonto

16. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

countrygrrrl, where did you get your loofah seed? I have ordered some a couple of times from catalogs but they didn't seem to sprout very well. Or is there a trick that I need to know. I would love to grow some but hate to keep wasting money for something I can't get to sprout.

17. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

These are quite easy to grow, getting them in ground early as possible and a lot of water is the key.
    This is a pic of ours back in mid june.
    [​IMG]
    I'm just now starting to harvest the first ones, they'll continue until frost.
    I'll have many extra seeds again this year to share and will post when they are ready.

18. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

You might want to try selling the seeds on the BB. I think last year a few people myself included were looking to buy some seeds but nobody had any to sell.

Jennifer

19. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

kyhippie, a friend of mine who used to be a certified organic farmer gave them to me. Because she and her husband were/are real live farmers (unlike me :haha: ), she has quite the store of seeds and likely has culled those seeds which have proven to be unproductive.

The trick may be WATER WATER WATER, I suspect. I started mine indoors in March, I believe, or early April, using those six-pack black thingies. I lost several in the early stages due to lack of watering :waa: . I quickly learned they like their water!

At the end of April or early May, I moved them in the six-pack onto the front deck, and babied them! I kept progressively repotting them into bigger pots til I came on this board and asked what to do about them ...

at which time, Darryl in Florida came on and told me get 'em in the sun and water! Which is exactly what I did.

Out of the seven plants I had which survived to the point of getting into full sun, two have proven to be wonderfully productive and five downright weinie whiney plants which just can't seem to get it together, even though their growing conditions are identical to those of their lush, lavish, get-up-and-go brethren! :haha:

I don't want to sell the seeds yet because I lost so many in the process of growing this batch. Next year, however, if I have the same kind of success/failure rate, i should have enough to sell. :D

20. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

BTW, let ne add, it's actually unlikely I'll sell the seeds at all, even when I end up with a bunch of them.

Instead, the likelihood is, I'll be looking for trades.

Keep your fingers crossed that next year I end up with a whomper batch. :yeeha: