We have KITS!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by turtlehead, Oct 9, 2006.

1. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That is exciting, Turtlehead! They look like nice plump kits and with only three they will grow very fast. Isn't it amazing how they suddenly become cute once their ears are up and they learn to hop? My first time momma, Tuppence, kindled 16 days ago. The kits were out of the nest box for the first time today, so I turned it on its side. There are nine of them and poor Tuppence doesn't get a moment's peace unless she lies flat on her tummy. The little scamps crawl under her on their backs for a little unauthorized nursing.

3. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Turtlehead! It must be so exciting.

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

filling in the burrow is common, the doe will block off the entrance to the nesting chamber and when its the first nest for that burrow the whole burrow will be blocked off, once she has other runs and chambers made under ground she will only block off the entrance to the nest in use most likely,

thats great news about them comming above ground like that, for somereason i thought it would be longer till they had some kits,

i would remove the dead one ASAP though, it will cause more damage staying in there with them than it would for you to possibley disturbe anyone by going in and takeing it. flys and all kind of crap and dissease can develope from dead bodys not being removed.

5. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Congrats!! I'm taking pictures tomorrow. I'll try to post some. I Have some VERY cute mini lops, and my son's Netherlands look like little stuffed animals. my rex/english lop mixes are looking good too. Congrats again!

Tim B.

PS- what kind of rabbits are they? Do they have any rat in them?
    [​IMG]

Okay seriously- there is that rat-tail looking thing in every picture. What's going on? Am I more tired than I thought I was?

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

LOL Tim ,, I think that what we are seeing in the pics is a small root .. :rolleyes:

.... and that dead baby needs to be removed ASAP ,, any dead body will cause problems in the burrow or nestbox ,,, ants will invade for the body and they will also bite and sting anything live they can ,,

anyone would be horrified to 1 day have live babies and the next find a nest full of dead ones covered w ants ..

thats is the number 1 reason for checking out the nest imediately after you know a does has 'birthed' to remove any bloody mess or doa's ,, and to check the nest at least once a day for the same reason ,,

EVERY doe should allow you to check the nest on a daily basis without showing too much agression (a treat useually has them not careing about you checking and counting)

I know with colony raiseing you can't check down 'in' the burrows ,, but if you find anything that needs removing ,, the does should allow 'you' to clean up without it disturbing them or changeing the does attitude towards their babies ,,

a doe that won't allow checking and cleaning IMO should be replaced with one that allows it without caring what YOU are doing

Blessings ,

7. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

congrats and good luck with this litter and any future ones to come.

8. turtlehead

Thanks for all the comments. I don't know how old these kits are - yesterday was the first time I'd seen them (and I took the pics). That is a small root but I agree, it looks just like a rat's tail in the pics.

These are Californian buck X New Zealand White doe kits.

KSALguy, thanks for the info on how the doe closes up the birthing chamber. When this one got closed up I was depressed; I figured the litter had all been stillborn. That's a lot of work for the poor mama, opening it up to nurse then closing it up to ensure the kits are warm and safe whenever she wants to eat or stretch her legs.

I have two does that I think have given birth - their nipples are all swollen up. Maybe one is about to deliver though. If they've both had their babies, they're sharing the burrow.

I'll go remove the little dead one right now. Thanks for all the good comments regarding that. She wont' mind - she's become UBER affectionate since having these kits. Every time I go in the enclosure she runs over to get stroked. That's the opposite of what I'd have expected.

9. turtlehead

Okay, there were *two* dead kits and I got them and threw them away.

There are five live babies in the burrow (I think) and I believe the two does are sharing the burrow because some of the babies have their eyes open (and did yesterday) but at least one does not have its eyes open yet. I'm guessing that means they're from two different litters?

The does just ran over to get petted and didn't give me a second glance when I got the dead kits and peered down as far as I could into the burrow.