We have goat cam!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tracy in Idaho, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sitting here snug in my house watching the girls in the barn! :)

Too cool -- we have goat cam!!!!! I'll have to think about getting the software to put it on a web site <g>

Best $39 I have spent! I do love ebay! It was so simple I didn't even have to read the directions, lol. It's just a plain little x10 camera -- think I am going to get the pan and tilt base so I can scan the whole barn though.

Pretty cool! I have already found out that one of the does is getting under the mineral tray and dumping it -- here I had been blaming my poor 4 yr old dd all along! :eek:

Tracy

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Tracy did you get a wireless or hard wired cam?

3. Tracy in Idaho

Wireless -- works like a champ!

Tracy (I never knew they spent SOOO much time eating, eating, eating....)

4. Lt. Wombat

Our girls do 3 things:

Eat

Look for eats

Cry for eats

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

That is soo neat! I've been thinking of getting something like that for the chicken coop. How hard would it be to put it on a web site?

6. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

That is so cool! I really wanted to do this last kidding season. Do you know if it would be tough to get it onto a website? I'd give a lot to be able to monitor a pregnant doe from work. (So would my employer!)

7. Tracy in Idaho

Very simple to get it on a website. You can buy the software from an ebay dealer for about $15-20.

The x10 stuff is really nice and easy. You can check out their site: http://www.x10.com/cameras/cameras_wireless.html
    I got their $80 camera for $39 off ebay ;-)

Here is their software page: http://www.x10.com/cameras/cameras_software.html

Oh and x10 also has controllers that you add to your switches and lights that can be controlled by remote from your house. Instead of having to leave the lights on in the barn all night, I am going to put one of those in so that I can turn on the lights, scan the barn, and turn them back off :)

Tracy

8. boren

boren Well-Known Member

How far is your barn from your house Tracy? I would love to do it here, but I just can't imagin it would have the range. (plus we we have a steel poll barn in between)

9. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Tracy, that is so cool!! like I don't watch the goats enough when I'm outside, my DH would think I've gone nuts!! did you get one of those "NEW WIRELESS COLOR SECURITY CAMERA NIGHTVISION SPY CAM" ?? there are so many to choose from, I wouldn't know where to start! :eek:

10. Tracy in Idaho

It is probably 120' from the barn. I have a metal barn too -- BUT I have skylights on the sides, so all we had to do was put the camera right in front of it!

I just got the basic xCam2. The cheapest one! I am going to order the pan and tilt base for it though.

Tracy

11. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

that is just too cool. Can't wait for your webcam :D Last kidding season I used a baby monitor. They are very noisy at night, for sure!

12. Mrs. Ed

Mrs. Ed Active Member

This sounds soooo neat! Pour another cup of hot cocoa and enjoy the show!

13. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Well if you get your goats on line, I wanna see! LOL. Actually, I was thinking of some kind of set up where I could go to town and still check on the farm. (When I GET a farm ;=) ) It would be neat to be able to leave without wondering if there would be a disaster while I was gone.

14. Tracy in Idaho

I will definitely let you all know if I get it up on the web :)

They are pretty funny. They eat, and eat, and eat. Then they nap. Then they eat more. Geeze, life is hard. :rolleyes:

One of them about gave me a heart attack yesterday. She is laying down all stretched out and does this "body shimmy" thing like she's having a seizure or something. She then flops up flat on her back and "wiggles" with her big ol pregnant belly hanging out. Does a big stretch and yawn and gets up. Apparently she was itchy!

Tracy

15. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I've seen that before! the first time is pretty freaky, they sure aren't as graceful as horses when they roll, are they! :haha: :no: :haha:

16. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Tracy,

Oh rolling over? It's hilarious. My dad was helping me re roof the barn, and the goats are out in the pen keeping on eye on us, making sure the job get's done right. My biggest doe Cream is always outside waiting for us. She's snoozing on off, like any good boss. When she wakes up we we see her roll to the side, then rolls completely on her back. Hooves spread out, udder sticking straight up sloshing from side to side. I guess you have to scratch your back somehow. You can't help from laughing it's great.

17. Lt. Wombat

In case anyone wants to investigate this: I remember back in California there was a guy who used a regular cam corder (crappy old one to be exact) that plugged into a encoder that was plugged into a power outlet in his back yard. Then inside his house was the decoder plugged into an outlet then fed into his computer. He raised racing pigeons and this is how he made sure the neighborhood cats were not bothering them.

Anyway he bought the encoder/decoder at either Sam's Club or Costco.

18. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

How fun. I spent the afternoon looking and reading and bidding and I got one too with the pan and tilt base also off of eBay. I bought the pan and tilt base with buy it now for $26.00 plus $10.00 shipping, and won the bid on the camera and receiver for $39.00. I think that was pretty good. Thanks for this idea.

19. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

HELP Traci,
    The instructions couldn't be more simple. I am sure I have it hooked up right but I can't see anything. We have a satellite receiver and a vcr on the tv. I tried plugging it into the video in on the vcr and that didn't work. I tried plugging it into the video thing on the satellite, didn't work. I tried plugging it into the video thing on the t.v., nope, It says on those instructions to make sure the camera is turned on. I don't see any place to turn on the camera do you? Both my things are set on A. I got this same outfit you bought. :waa:

20. Tracy in Idaho

Hi, MM --

No, I dont' think the camera has an actual switch on it -- I just went out and looked. On the plug in thingie, the bottom dial is set to "A" and the top one to "1"

I don't have satellite, so I don't know if that is the problem or not??? Mine is just plugged right into the video in of the VCR. We really just plugged it in and there it was.

Your best bet is go here -- http://www.x10.com/support/support.htm

they have a live chat support, or you can call or email. I hope you get it figured out!!!

Tracy