We Have Babies!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by b3hummers, Jun 24, 2005.

1. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

I have posted on here before with not being able to breed the californian doe we have. Well to our surprise she has had 9 babies, 2 of which have died. Now what I need to know is what do I do next. 3 babies(2 live 1 dead) were in the nest she made with her fur, the other 6 (5 alive 1 dead) are in a nest of straw that she made no fur. She just lays in the other side of the cage. She is a new mommy. What do I look for, help with, feed the new mommy? And of course this all had to happen on the hottest day in 2 years Wisconsin has seen. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    P.S. The dead ones are out of the nest.

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

First, wash your hands then Pet her real good to scent your hands with her scent. Take all the straw and fur and kits and put in a nest box. Make sure the nestbox is not in her "potty" corner. How hot is it? some details of your setup would help. Congrats on the new kits. Let us know how it goes.

3. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

The kits are in the nest box. She lays in the outer part of the cage. It was about 93 degrees yesterday. The cage/nest box are in the barn. Away from the direct heat of the sun. Also the door is open to let a little breeze thru.
    The 7 kits are lively today yet, they look to have a little fur coming now too. Thanks for your reply

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I see the cause of your concern.... the fact that the doe isn't in the nest box with the kits? Don't expect rabbits to behave like cats and dogs... they're just too low on the food chain for that. So... they lay *outside* the nest box in order to watch for predators! :haha: Rabbits will nurse their young usually only once or twice a day... and, of course, when humans usually aren't around to see them do it. ;)

Checking the kits daily to make sure they're being fed is how we know... fat bellies means they've been fed, while wrinkled, deflated bellies and squeeking kits means not fed.

Good luck with your new bunnies!

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

5. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

Thanks for the reply I feel much better about if she is taking care of them or not. Yes, they have fat little bellies. All 7 are still lively. Pictures will be sent later when they are little bigger. Thanks again for the reply.

6. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

Our babies are just over 2 weeks now. My question is how long do we leave them with mommy. All 7 are getting really big. I am amazed at how big they get in a short period of time. I think they are all does. Not exactly sure if it is evident yet. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
    Melissa

7. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hello Melissa ,, What are you raiseing rabbits for ??

If your raiseing for meat ,, weaning from the mother will depend on your planned rebreeding schedule ,,

I plan on weaning kits from mom 2 weeks before the next litter is due ,, if I rebreed a doe when the kits are 6 weeks ,, I'll start weaning the biggest kits away at 7 1/2 weeks ,, depending on #'s in the litter 1 - 2 every few days leaving smallest till last ,,, thats just how I do it ,,,

if your not in a hurry then you can wean later ,, you can wean from the doe at 7 - 8 - 9 weeks of age ,,, I would not wait any longer than that in my opinion ,, and when you wean be sure to wean into sexed cages ,,

you don't want an early maturing buck to impregnate his sister or mother ,, :nono: