We have babies!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamahen, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

When I can home from work yesterday, Rosie was in the corner & softly bleating. She was streaming a little, but wanted to go outside. So I walked her in the field for about 15 min., then put her back in the barn. About 30 minutes later I checked on her & she was down chewing her cud. 30 minutes later she was restless, up & down. Then she started pushing.

Everything was fine at first, she was vocal & wanted to lay right beside me while she was pushing.

The first bubble came & about 1 min. later baby showed. Head first :no: . Ok in all my books, papers & info, it says CANNOT deliver head first, must push head in & feel for feet. Ok, the vet is still in. I call him & he says, sure bring her in :no: . 30 min. drive, brand new white jeep (husbands), no help to lift laboring goat, jeep parked 300 yards away, I tell him he better come here. He is telling me not to try to help, he'll try, but in all probability she needs a c-section. Ok, I ask him what can I do, I've read & reread how to help. He insists I'll only hurt both, & baby probably won't make it anyway. :(

I hang up, waiting for him to arrive, & put on my rubber gloves anyway. I sort of run my fingers around the babies neck, (he's way out now, still no legs), & push down around the babies neck to try to make room & sort of ease him out. Plop, the next push he's out!! Yipee! 10 minutes later, a little doe, perfect delivery. And I called the vet & told him never mind, I got him out!

So, I have one little carmel buck and one little black agouti doe that is polled!! I was hoping both would be polled, but at least one is! Momma loves both & they are doing great.

Now I have to come up with names for both. I won't name them until they're on the ground! Flower names for both. hmmmmm

tricia

2. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know if I'm doing this right, hope it works!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Congratulations to you and to the new mother! So cute. In a weird coincidence, we also have two newborn kids that look a lot like yours, except both are bucklings (the doe looks just like your doe, too). I'll try to post a picture of the kids and hope this works:

[​IMG]

4. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi Tricia,

Somethings can brighten any day. They are beautiful.

I did want to say that we have helped pull kids with legs folded back (not hung up) with some work, but without a problem. Sometimes it is just working things around to make a little more room or working some wider than normal parts out rather than a lot of pulling. We raise Boer and Boer crosses, so this might make a difference. This is usually the case when the first kid is already out to at least the shoulders and a second kid is backed up right behind it. I had to do it with a first timer just the other day when one leg was folded back.

It sounds like Rosie handled it fairly easily with only a little help from you. It is a whole lot better than a C-section and everyone is doing fine.

Congratulations!

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

5. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

My Nigerian gave birth to triplets all head first last week. She pushed 3 good times and the first hit the floor. Shortly the other two followed just like the first. I was scared when I saw that first little muzzle, but I gave her a chance and all three came out perfect and it was the easiest delivery I have had yet. They were good size. Not small or anything. I dont know why it is such a problem. I suppose the legs could be all tangled in there but I didnt have any problem. Sometimes I think we people over analyze things and get worked up on the horror stoties we have heard. But I guess you did everything right because the ends justify the means right?
    CONGRATULATIONS!

6. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

Congrats on the lovely babies! I have pretty much come to the conclusion that alot of vets don't have a clue when it comes to goats! You did the right thing in giving her a little help, look at the results!

Jeannine

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh. They are soooo cute. I didn't breed my ladies last year, so no babies this year. I sure miss having babies around. We should finally be on our land well before breeding season this year. Oh, babies again next spring. Congratulations on those twin beauties.