We have babies!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Sarah J, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I went out to feed everyone this morning and got there just in time for the first birth!

We now have two little ones - one ram and one ewe.

This is my first ewe (well, surviving) so I am jsut thrilled...allow me to dance around a bit for a while!

I helped her get them dried off - she seemed grateful for the help in this cold. Lambs are doing fine - everyone stood up by themselves quickly and found her udder on their own, too.

And the goats, whether by instinct or having been warned away by unknown signals, are keeping to their own side of the pen...I was thinking I'd have to boot them out for the day!

Happy days!

Sarah

2. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

Congratulations Sarah! We had a handsome set of ram lambs this morning!!

Tim
    Knoxville, TN

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Congrats! You might just double check that mum is letting milk out of both nipples etc. etc. If you've had goat kids it's the same routine for lambs. I cut the lambing days grain ration back to half what she was getting and then work it back up over the next 2 or 3 days to prevent acidosis. Remember the ewe just got a whole lot more room inside!

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Good plan on the nipple thing - never even thought of it...I'm too busy being cheerful. :) And yes - the last thing she needs is acidosis with two little ones to care for!

Congrats Tim! Isn't it fun?

-Sarah (still flying high and can't wait for the children to come home to show off the new babies!)

5. FairviewFarm

FairviewFarm Well-Known Member

Congratulations Sarah!

It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 30 ewes lambing (as in my case), with each successful delivery and a ewe that mothers her young well, I too find myself doing a happy dance.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the same good luck when my ewes start lambing in early February.

Karen

6. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Congrats! I agree with Karen, do the happy dance. We start in late March, (unless the accidental gate opening thing that happened in September produces an earlier delivery on a couple of my "girls". I hate it when that happens!) I get the warm tingles for every successful birth and feel sadness for the unsuccessful ones.

I can't wait for the lamb wave to start. You know, when all the lambs start running together then, like it's choreographed, they all turn and run in another direction. That really makes me smile.