We have a problem... help quickly

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Wingdo, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

She still hasn't passed the afterbirth, and it's been six hours since the last kid was born. She still feels awful hard, looks awful big, and is doing the up and down thing considerably. Before I even attempt an internal exam, is there anything else I can do to help her along?

2. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I was told they have up to 24 hours to pass the afterbirth. But I have never had a goat wait that long.

NEVER pull on the afterbirth to come out. I belive a vet can administer something to help her release it if she holds on to it longer then the 24 hours.

if you believe she still has a kid you may need to investigate inside her to see if it is stuck.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You will hear this over and over all kidding season this fall, winter and spring....how many internal exams do you have as a women having kids? Lots and lots.

Clean up, go in, why let her go on and on in labor when it can be something as simple as a leg back. Never pull until you have it all figured out in your mind what your hand is feeling. If you can't get the head and two legs, than pull a second kid out by the back legs. Think of things logically when you do go in...make sure you have two back legs...know that pulling on two front legs without the head out the kid can't come out with it's face up...As you enter your hand the doe will push your hand out, use these contactions to help you get the baby out. Pull gently...the stories you read where folks will say they are physically exhausted after pulling kids are horrible! It never takes strength or force to deliver goatlings, it takes maneuvering only. Good luck.

OK so now you have gone in and there was no kid found, you sure? There are two horns to the uterus. just like a heart. Still 100% sure, you went through the cervic and up into the uterus and all you felt was the mush of a placenta in your way?

Ok, give her some warm molassas water. Milk her out some or let the kids nurse, milk her some anyway even with nursing kids. This stimulates the oxytocin (the same drug the vet would give you for retained placenta) in the doe, brings in her milk and helps expell the placenta and get the uterus's muscle tone back. Vicki

4. PygmyLover

Vicki is right I did this in July with my Destiny. I was more "tired" from my nervousness then from pulling the kid out. Since it had been my first time I was extreamly nervous I would hurt her. But thankfully I did go in or I would have lost both her and the kid. He was in full breach possition (he was comming rump first).

5. PygmyLover

how is everything now? I hope the doe is ok.

6. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

Did you "bump" her to see if you can feel another kid?
    Stand behind her and wrap your arms under her belly, right in front of the udder. Press up and see if you feel any elbows, hoofs, .....

7. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

She's fine... I shouldn't listen to my beloved when she's excited. She's fine, as are the kids and mama.

8. PygmyLover

well that is good news. :D

9. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I don't think retained afterbirth is very common. In over 100 kiddings, lambings, and foalings around here, I've never had a mama retain an afterbirth. I rarely see them pass. Heck, I rarely see them born.