We have a bull calf! and questions...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by MaryF, Dec 30, 2005.

1. MaryF

MaryF Well-Known Member

Hey there,
    well, she had a little bull calf this morning about 6:30. Dh went to check on her before he went into work, and saw a nose and hooves coming.
    Dh did pull him out with her contractions....the calves tongue was hanging out and really really cold. Took a bit for him to breath. May all be normal, cant tell. Hope it worked out ok.
    Anyway...questions here. Its been 3 hrs, and he still wont stand. I tried bottle feeding him...his tongue would just loll. So I ended up tubing him after after about 45min. Gave him about a pint. He started shivering, so I took him into a seperate room in the milk room (that has a heater), got him all dried off, blow dried him. An hour later, tried a pint bottle more...no go still, so I tubed once more.
    Now, he is with mom, who is licking him and talking to him. His head is up, he looks alert, just NO interest in getting up at this point. I have fresh straw all around him, a heat lamp above him (securely fastened!!!), is there anything Im missing? Any tips on getting him to stand? I had my ds hold the back end, and tried getting him to nurse from her-holding him up to the teat-squirting some milk on his nose, ect.
    Dd just came in, said he is shivering again. Should I take him back in the room and warm him?
    Thanks all!
    Mary

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Any way you can put the cow in the room with him? Unless he gets the colostrum very soon he is likely to die or be a poor doer. Can you milk the cow and tube feed him the colostrum at least?

Alternative is to put both somewhere out of the wind, him on a bed of hay, and let the cow keep watch.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

So you have yourself one of those calves that are "suicidal" eh? Well your best bet is to not waste time in trying to make it nurse, if it is simply toooo weak don't bother. Do this, take it away and concentrate on getting food into it. Buy a calf coat, put it on it, it will not hurt the calf (we have done it, did it with a calf that would not stand, would not drink on its own, it died 4 weeks into its life, after it began to stand and drink on its own). So get a calf coat, get food into it, and try to perservere. It might live, it might not, but give it a shot. The one I mentioned we pulled, he almost stopped breathing, actually he did. But my mother revived him somehow by pushing on his chest. Good luck!

Jeff

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep in mind, gentlemen, this is the 18 month old first freshening heifer.

The calf has taken in two pints via tubing by a very intelligent Mary :goodjob: , and apparently has taken the bottle a bit as well since this morning.
    Mary is currently over on another forum updating and taking advice as well.

I think it is only a matter of time at this point that the calf will stand. Don't the calves tubed at birth with lots of colostrum just lay there for the first 24 hours? Why get up if you are full and digesting?

5. MaryF

MaryF Well-Known Member

Hey yall,
    he has been up and taking the bottle, just wanted ya to know. Thanks for the replies, I just hate being a newbie to this stuff. But ya gotta start somewhere.
    Only got 3 hrs of sleep, so I think Im off to bed. If I can get my digital camera to work, Ill take some pics soon.
    Thanks again,
    Mary

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The 14 month old heifer we had took 3 weeks before she let the calf nurse without being tied up.

Jeff

7. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

It's funny, but my company and I were just discussing how much slower bull calves seem to be at standing and nursing than heifer calves. You may have just encountered this.

Good luck!

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

8. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

Mary,

Congratulations on the calf. Sounds like you got some real experience.

A calf on our property wouldn't take to mama for almost 24 hours, neighbor separated them from the herd and put them in the barn lot. Calf in the stall and mama anywhere she wanted to be. The next morning calf was sucking on mama and everything was fine from then on.

thanks for the update