Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we met our neighbors horse before we ever met them! He ran across the road, dodging cars mind you, into our land. Luckily we have our full 4.3 acres fenced in with electrical wire with the exception of where our gate will go soon. We don't have any horses, but I tapped into the summer when I was 13 and spent it on a horse farm and was able to calm him and hold him until animal control and then the neighbor came over. She was about it tears. Now I just need to convince my fiancee that it is time to get a horse! (I have been nagging him FOREVER) It was a fun afternoon to say the least!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
If you don't know who owns the horse, who else are you going to call? Or it could have even been someone else who called AC when they saw a loose horse running around.

A coupe of years ago, I was out taking care of my horses when I had the husband of one of the other boarders come and grab me since one of the other horses was out and was on the next road. (The owner of the property wasn't home, his wife was sick, he's not horsey and I was the only other person there.) Get to this horse and realize that I had never seen it B4 in my life! I was able to catch it w/the help of a little bit of grain. (W/out the grain, it took off running) I had no halter for it, just a lead rope over it's neck. By this time, the cops were there. No one knew who the horse belonged to. I refused to take it back to the farm where I board since there was no place to put it. If someone hadn't figured out where it belonged, AC would have been called. Instead, I ended up leading this horse back home and putting it in its field. The owners went off and left the gate open. :facepalm:

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
If you don't know who owns the horse, who else are you going to call?
You drive around and FIND out who lost a horse.
Several years ago I spotted 2 loose ponies just a trotting past my place.
I saw they had stopped just up the road to eat, I grabbed a halter and walked up to them leading one back to my place while the other one followed.
I went around the area and low and behold I was told it belonged to people several miles away. They were called and came with their trailer to pick them up, happy that I got them and they were safe.

And One of my horses got loose one night, I drove around asking people had they seen a pony on the loose, In one car I asked said around and follow me.
I did and he had put my miniature in his outdoor dog kennel.
I thanked him, it was only 1/2 mile away in the middle of winter. I drove home he brought me to his place and I led the horse back home once again.

And another time two of my mini's got out and was a mare and her baby in the front yard close to the road, my mailman came by, stopped and put them back in their pens~!
I thanked him very much the next day.
SO you see in ALL of these cases not once was a animal control person called.~!

And one more case, I was driving the backroads and saw a stern was loose I knew it had to belong to the fame I had just passed, I drove and got ahead of the steer and made him turn around, when he got close to the somewhat long driveway I got in front once again and he turned down the drive.
I Stopped and blocked the drive as I could see the fame getting a hold of him and when he did I waved and went on my way. Good friendly neighborly gestures like this pays of in spades later on.

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
The stories I could tell about loose horses. Then there's the one about the 4 buffalo in the middle of the road. . .

Reactions: Alexz7272

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Once upon a time we had some 'trash' neighbors up the road who's stud pony would regularly break out of his pen and travel about a mile to 'visit' with my girls. I would be awakened at dawn by him trotting around the corral, squealing his head off and lookin' for a good time with my two mares who would look at him like they were thinking 'you've GOT to be kidding!'

We knew the pony was theirs and their idea of a pen for the little guy was laughable so I would catch him (thank goodness he was an amiable little guy) and tie him up until the owner got around to coming down after him. After about the third time this happened the owner announced to us that he was 'tired of chasin after that 'blankity blank' pony" and he was taking him home and put a bullet in his head.

No way we were going to let that happen. We gave the guy 5 dollars for that darling little boy and wrote out a bill of sale that the many gladly signed. We made a few calls and a local businessman who we knew raised pure bred Arabians. He was thrilled to hear from us as he was trying to introduce his youngest daughter to riding and she was nervous around his big Arabs. He would gladly take the little boy, rid him of some unneeded equipment and give him to his daughter.

Loose horses can have happy endings.

Or as I once said as the local Amish men were having a horse drive, moving about 50 horses between pastures and as they passed our place, the lead horse, once again a pony, lead the whole herd up our drive and into our yard. I was jumping up and down clapping my hands at the sight and said "They're ALL for ME!"

I like loose horses!

Kudos to you for getting your loose horse back where he belonged. Sounds like you may have the makings for a new friend.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
AK, in the case I quoted, driving around to find out who owned the horse would not have worked. The owners were not at home. It was sheer luck that anyone even knew who the horse belonged to. So, if no one had known who the horse belonged to, what would you have suggested I do w/the horse? I had no place to put it.

If I had a horse that got loose and I couldn't find it, my first call is going to be to either the police or AC in the hopes that someone had seen it. And, I had that happen years ago. I had one tied to a trailer. I cannot to this day figure out how he got the snap to the lead rope unhooked. I called the cops. They actually helped me find him because people were calling about him.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
+
If I had to wear that rig I'd run away too. Fact is, if the horse is gentle enough to be caught, all you have to do is put a loop around his head, tie it off so it does not choke, and tie him to a post until AC or the owner arrives. No big deal.

Looks like someone's old lame pet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts