We got our first goats.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by stanb999, May 22, 2006.

1. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

We got our first goats on Sat. They were purchased thru the barter bourd. We have 2 male and 4 female. Half are full grown. They are the sweetest. They are adjusting to their new home well. Now for the question.................

Do I really need a mineral block for them now? They are "pastured" on 3 acres of mixed brush. Mostly arrowwood 25% and raspberry 25% and the remainder a total mix. I went to the feed store and they said to give them a protein block. Is this nessesary? They also didn't try to sell me a salt block. I wanted a salt block but said the protien block is what was needed. So I bought it. But I still think I need the salt block. Is this so? I even mentioned the copper issue.

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Congratulations on you new family addition. :) I would not get a block. The reasons are one, they can not get enough minerals out of the blosc unless they ate it all day and two, if they licked the block enough to get the minerals they needed they would put a hole in their tong . I would get a loose mineral, you can put it out and dump it if it gets dirty. The best one is sweetlix meat maker if you can find it, I can not get it around here so I do use a cattle one. They do need the minerals because unless you know forsure what theyare getting from the pasture(mineral wise) they are more then likely NOT getting all that they need. I would also leave out baking sode. The same baking soda you get from the store, leave it out so they can eat it if they need it. Being they are in a new place and new pasture, it could upset their tummy. Have fun with them. :p

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I've found that the employees in feed stores seldom know anything about the livestock they sell feed for. Usually all they know is what the feed companies tell them -- most often, the employees are town people, and even if they raise livestock they rarely have learned a whole lot about them. So, don't take their word for ANYTHING!!!

Goats need loose minerals. They do NOT need protein blocks, and to be perfectly honest, I don't think cows need them, either. I don't think they are even good for them -- if I was you, I'd try to take that protein block back. I certainly wouldn't feed it to my animals -- I just looked up the ingredients on the internet and one of the main ingredients is urea, which is NOT good for goats to eat! If you have it out with the goats already, please remove it right away!

Look for a good quality GOAT mineral, not cow or sheep. Horse will do if you can't find goat. But, yes, to answer your question, even animals on good browse and pasture do need minerals and salt. Can you get Sweetlix Meatmaker goat mineral where you are? That's what I'm using here, and it seems to be doing a good job.

Kathleen

4. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

Golden Blend also makes a very good brand of loose minerals for goats.

5. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. That is what I thought. I will also try to get the mineral loose.