We finished planting!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, May 11, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hubby and I got out in the garden Sunday afternoon and planted up a storm. We planted two types of corn, three types of peanuts, more zuchinni squash, more beans and peas, lots of herbs, cantaloupe, watermelon and sweet potatoes. We already had tomatoes, bell peppers, lima beans, bush beans, yellow squash and zuchinni, onions, carrots, English peas, pumpkins, birdhouse gourds and broccoli growing.

We planted until I ran out of seed. Told hubby a lot of it may not come up as some of the seed is 2-3 years old. So yesterday I went and bought more seed! Oh, I also planted 13 packs of flower seed. We were in a rush to plant Sunday because it was supposed to rain Sunday night and Monday. It did rain Monday. Now I need to get my beds mulched. I'm looking forward to having lots of veggies this summer.

This is the first garden I've had in three years.

2. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

Good work! I'm jealous. I'd like to trade places with you today, but maybe you'd want to trade places with me in August? (Humor me! :haha: )

What a difference a thousand or so miles makes. I've been itchin to put stuff in for a while, but, well, we're getting down to 35 tonight. Peas and spinach are doing fine though.

3. Ravenlost

I'd trade places with you today. It's already hitting the low 90s here and I HATE hot weather!

Okay...maybe we should trade places in August. I'll be frying eggs on the sidewalk by then!

4. T.C.

T.C. Active Member

90s already?!?! I thought it was pretty warm here in the low 80s.

I wish I was finished planting like you. I still have a couple of blueberry bushes, an apple tree & watermelon that I need to plant.

Out of curiosity, what size is your garden?

5. Ravenlost

Eventually it'll be about two acres. Right now I have six raised beds (4x16') and five rows of crops (each row about 40' long). We've decided to put in more rows for the leftover sweet potato slips (I hate to waste them) and I bought more seed today...two types of cucumbers. We just got my 10x10x6' chicken coop up next to the potting shed and I want to plant something that can grow up the chicken wire...provide shade for the chickens and make the coop a little more attractive.

It was 91 today so I didn't work in the garden until about an hour ago. Got some mulching done, but still have lots of stuff to do. I'll never actually be finished planting, but it feels good to have the bulk of it done. Now I just wish it would start coming up! I get very excited when I see my little baby plants poking their heads out of the ground. :D