Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This whole business of having a buck has been a huge challenge for us. Where to put a buck when you don't need him, how many bucks to have, dealing with a buck just in general. Newbies like us have a time with these issues. Also, when you have a doe who has milked for almost two years without freshening, the question is, "Why bother with a buck?"

At some point, the OTHER does need breeding, so we acquired a pair of bucklings from Yarrow (thank you!) and a Nigerian Dwarf buckling for breeding to a couple of the full size does to produce mini-milkers.

I hired a couple of my former high school students, and they today they cleaned out an old shed, hauled 460 lbs of trash to the dump, cleaned the shed, put down sand and wood shavings, and put in a cattle panel and T-post enclosure for a buck pen. It's FANTASTIC!

I had been worrying and fretting about this, and now we have the facilities we need. I'm so happy!

The other wonderful thing is that another former student paneled the inside of our milk house today. We have a blue norther scheduled to come in at midnight, and this will keep the wind from whistling through the old barn walls!

I'm twice happy today!

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Wonderful! Now you will probably enjoy having your bucks much more than before! :)

We just strung up some full-spectrum lighting in the two larger stalls today. I hope the goats will benefit from it since it's so darned dark this time of year and they are being closed in more than I like due to very cold weather and work schedules. *sigh* My friend gave me the idea after one of her bucks had to be confined due to a cast, broken leg.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Funny that you made this post... 2 days ago, I made our buck pen as well! It turned out really nice and I'm so happy to have one.
I also have a buck from Yarrow, and a buck from Ozark Jewels.

I used t-posts cattle panel and rebarb for extra support in between the t-posts. Then I dug out the old white metal baby crib and used the bed railing for a nice looking door if I do say so myself! LOL!!!

Will have to get pics!

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
We have our buck with one of his girls all the time. They are in a small pasture with a calf hutch, zone 5. About 5 weeks before the doe is due we bring her in the barn to run in and out, give her shots and rotate another doe to keep the buck company. He is Boer, a fantistic fellow, sweet as he can be with his girls. I hate to see bucks by themselves.
This has worked GREAT for us, he is happy!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Congrats on the new buck pen! You are so good at taking pictures let's see one of the pen...at least it won't be moving LOL :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Funny that you made this post... 2 days ago, I made our buck pen as well! It turned out really nice and I'm so happy to have one.
I also have a buck from Yarrow, and a buck from Ozark Jewels.

I used t-posts cattle panel and rebarb for extra support in between the t-posts. Then I dug out the old white metal baby crib and used the bed railing for a nice looking door if I do say so myself! LOL!!!

Will have to get pics!
Good idea on recycling the crib! I'm impressed. We have used pallets to divide pens in the past and probably will again this year since my husband felt sorry for the buck and put him in with the ladies.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sounds as though they have some great housing.

Our ground froze up before I got a chance to expand my pens. Waiting for Spring or a good thaw so I can move the bucks a little further away.

I've used crib mattress support framed spring thingies for gates for chicken runs and for trellises in the garden. Let us know how the railing works out as a gate with the bucks. Sounds nice.

I cut gates from cattle panels for my goats; they hold up real well to all the pressure the goats give them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts