we did not move to the country for this

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tabitha, May 5, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

our dream came true last summer, we moved full time on our homestead. It takes ten minutes to walk to our house, we are surrounded by woods, our drive way is off of a gravel road and we pass only one house, which is next to our gate.
    two days ago we ran out of gas for the lawnmower and I went along to "town" to get gas and an icecream cone. when we got home not all that much later, we found someone had knocked a hole in a window in bright daylight, right above the closing gizmo (what do you call that thing). and no, we did not knock a rock through it with the lawnmower. broken glass was even on the keyboard, I had been on the sofa under that window before we left.
    Monday when I went to a ladies meeting at church I noticed my gastank was almost empty, but we had just filled it up and really had not gone anywhere. I barely made it. to make a long story short, yesterday I noticed that the tank was almost three quarter empty again, but the only place I had been was at Bible study, three miles away. (No, it is not leaking). It seems one of us has to stay at home all the time. Needless to say, I am very dissappointed.
    I guess until we get a big mean dog we can not go anywhere together.
    I wonder if someone has had bad experiences like that and how they dealt with them. Last winter our mailbox was demolished, a stranded car with expired farm tags was standing near it, footprints from the car lead to the mailbox, then off towards town. The neighbor who has her mailbox next to ours and lives as far off as we do, but on the other side, saw this and called the "law". the dep. refused to look at the tracks or the mailbox, shortly spoke to a person still in the car and left. My neighbor heard on the scanner that the deputy reported in that it was nothing. I really do not feel very secure anymore. It looks like I will have to learn to shoot and get a big mean dog. I do not dare tell my folks "back home" about this, this country has a bad enough reputation abroad as is.

2. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

My dad used to work at a mine and he said some guys were having their gas syphoned while on shift. So one of them came up with an idea that worked, he welded fish hooks around the perimeter of the gas cap. They pointed in the opposite direction one would turn to remove the cap. His gas cap went missing and the gas stealing stopped.
    That's sad what's happening there.

3. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

How about a locking gas cap for the vehicle? We used to have them years ago and now it looks like we are going to have to get them again, with gas so high.

4. auntieemu

auntieemu Well-Known Member

It is bad when you have someone in the area doing stuff like that. You can get locking gas caps for most vehicles. That might at least help for that part. Put locks on sheds that hold tools or gas cans.

Did they break into the house and steal something or just try to?

5. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had this happen alot. I purchased a locking gas cap you can get them at auto supply stores well prety much anywhere.

6. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Gas syphoning happens everywhere now-a-days - sad but true.
    Get yourself a big lovable "barky" dog from the shelter A.S.A.P. Life will be good!

Was anything stolen from your house by the way?

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Do yo have a dog? left loose of course! :)

A little target practice near dark :shrug:

Beware if the dog dont getcha I will!!!!
    type signs :shrug:

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

I lived on a dead end road. Our mailboxes would be run down everyweekend. My neighbor put his on a three inch steel pipe that got filled with concrete. The pick up truck that was wrapped around it that weekend was something to see. Steel boxes are now avaiable. People come to the country for free stuff and to drop of things they do not want(animals and trash). Sorry you have been exposed to some low life's. It will get better but, please be cautious at night as they have already been skulking around.

9. Richard6br

Richard6br Well-Known Member

Locking gas caps are ok but they will just poke a hole in the gas tank. Big mean dogs are ok but you will be liable for anything that happens to a stranger, even if it is the crook. Sounds like someone knows your every move. You need to catch them in the act, lots of places are selling security systems with cameras, that may be your best option. You keep filling up that gas tank at $2.99 a gallon and it won't take long to pay for a security system. Just by getting out the word that you have a security system may stop the problem.

10. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

if only one house is passed to leave and whomever is doing this has to know if your home or not -- maybe a visit is in order?

11. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

The last incident we had around here was somebody dumping at a spot that had just recently been cleaned up, to the tune of close to $80,000. I was just a bit riled by it. Had know idea who it might have been. What to do?? I figured since gossip and rumors are a state sport in KY that the best way to combat trash was to talk a little trash. Went down the road to the general store, started talking to the clerk, loud enough so's all the 'good ole boys' sitting around the seed rack and oil shelf could get a good ear full. I started out with what a shame that those old mattress' had been thrown out up by wolf cliff, allowed as how I'd pick em up and dump em myself 'cept I was afraid they probably had some kind of gay sex aids germs on em and I wasn't touching it. Well the clerk, as expected got to laughing out loud, repeated it again for the benefit of all in the store. I suggested that somebody doing such a thing deserved a proper posterior kicking, basically a mud hole kicked in their backside and as I lived just around the hill I'd be keeping an eye out for anybody dumping. I can just imagine how many times that story has made the rounds, how many folks that drive by there have looked to see if any trash has been pitched over the hill. Well, nothing new has been thrown out since. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Maybe not. I'd like to think it's because work is going around that that crazy sob that lives over the hill is watching. That and I make sure to talk to the neighbors when I see them, offer help when I can, and manage to go out and shoot at least once a month. I guess my advice is let it be known that you make a good friend but an awful enemy. That it will be the most expensive gas they ever got if they come back for more.

12. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

Wow! That is bad. Don't waste money on a locking gas cp unless your vehicle is older than about 5 years. I'd inspect it rather closely, most of the tanks have floats in them that make it next to impossible to siphon. If they (the theives) have experience you just pop off the fuel line at the filter and put a jumper from the starter to the pump plug. This is not too good for the pump when it gets low.

13. Wildoutdoorsmen

Wildoutdoorsmen Active Member

A have to say good friend or bad enemy too. Plus, I would stage a sting to catch them. Get photos and hang them in every store so the person is exposed for the crime. Way better punishment of the fine. Everybody will remember this person as a thief.

Plus, for your own safety, get a small .410 shotgun for security. At 15 yards it has more knock down power then a pistol of similar size and inside a home it won't go through walls and bounce around and hurt an inicent person. Guns are our right for this reason.

14. Tonya

Tonya Guest

My brother lives out in the country and his mailbox kept getting smashed. He took one box that wasn't dinged too badly and got one of those huge old fashioned mailboxes. He put the smaller box inside the larger box and then filled the space between the two boxes with concrete. He then sank a metal pole into the ground and mounted it.

He calls it his "Toothpick Maker" Mailbox as he's picked up several splintered wooden boxes. Can't imagine the idiot who uses an aluminum bat has hands that feel too good, either!

I hear ADT sells just the signs now. Stick a few of those in your window and yard. Then chain a big loud mean looking teady bear of a dog to it. :p

15. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no idea on how to do this or even if it is possible but~~~back in the 70's fuel crisis gas theft was going on too. One of the men that I worked with was bragging at work one day about fixing that SOB who was stealing his gas. He said that he'd somehow rigged his car to electricity so that whoever touched it would get a big jolt. He said that he'd heard a scream in the early morning hours then no more gas theft. A car alarm that makes the horn go off might work today.

One of our neighbors saw someone in his car going thru his glove box. There'd been a lot of that in the neighborhood over the past few weeks. He snuck out holding onto his dog's collar, yanked open the car door and pushed the dog inside with the man. Lets just say that guy exploded out of that car with the dog right behind him~~~no more thefts in that neighborhood!

16. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

Once years ago my dad got fed up with people stealing gas from the car so he got smart & left a gallon jug of gas sitting beside the car with sugar in it. The "good ol boys" stole the gas can & was pushing their car up the road the next day! lol Guess they figured it was just too easy with a gas can laying there & took it instead of stealing the gas out of the car. Could mix half/half with water & add some sugar hoping they will steal it. I doubt they'd return. I know it sounds mean but hey they are ripping you off so it wouldn't bother me a bit to try it myself!

17. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

Another thing you could add is a couple of cans of chain saw oil. DH accidently did this and while it did no real damage the van ran like a~~chain saw for awhile. You should have heard it let alone try to ride in it until all that junk ran thru! It was so loud you could hear us coming before we got there. LOL

18. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Are there some teenagers nearby? Ask your local sheriff if there are any drug offenders near you.

Sounds like kids or dopers to me.

A big dog should do the trick, or you could hide your vehicles and sit inside with the lights off and see who shows up. 1 good citizen's arrest will stop a lot of trouble when the other kids hear about it.

Good luck!

19. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

Thank you all for the good advice. I'll try it, especially the bait with the "sweet gas". Brahma Mama, nothing was stolen, only the window was broken, I don't know if we came home too soon or what. thank you, your replies mean a lot to me.

20. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. If you really want to screw with them that way, get some nice rubbing alcohol and throw some in, then some nice styrofoam cups and mix them in, maybe with enough rubbing alcohol you can get some sugar in there to dissolve as well. Make sure it still 'looks good' when you are done. There are a slew of other things, but that should be enough to cause some havoc should they take it.

One other thing to think on, you can always set up a remote camera to shoot when someone crosses the 'trigger'.