We did Melissa's turkey recipe.....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Cabin Fever, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

....that is, we cooked a 20-pound turkey all night long (about 12 hours or so) at a low temp (250 to 275ºF). The turkey was wonderful and don't anyone give me that "was it dry" comment. No, it wasn't dry, in fact it was more moist than many turkeys we've made. We just put the turkey upside-down in a roasting pan that had about two inches of water in it and covered the pan tightly with foil. What I liked best about this method was the ease of "carving"...heck, there was no carving. No need for a knife, I filleted the entire bird by hand...including the legs and wings. There is no other way we'll ever make a turkey.

2. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

What did you use for flavor? I would think that long cooking in just water would provide a rather bland product.

3. Cabin Fever

It tasted just like any other turkey we have made. I don't consider "turkey" a bland flavor.

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

By "upside-down" do you mean ------

Breast side down? (Which is upside-down from the "normal" baking method of breast side up)

Or ---
    Do you mean Breast side up? (Which is upside down from the usual stance of the live turkey.)

5. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

I roast mine slowly all night also, upside down, but do not use water. It is very flavorful and not dry. It bastes in its own juices.

6. Cabin Fever

Yes

7. Cabin Fever

YA know, now that you mention it, I'm not sure how much water we put in the pan for sure. I'll have to ask WIHH. All I know is there was about 2-inches of liquid in the pan the next morning.

8. tallpines

:rolleyes:

Okay --- Thanks!

Does anyone else know?

Is this method of "upside-down" meaning :

Breast side down? (Which is upside-down from the "normal" baking method of breast side up)

Or ---
    Is it Breast side up? (Which is upside down from the usual stance of the live turkey.)

9. janandkenny

janandkenny Well-Known Member

we do ours breast side Down.
    although breast side up came out the same way.

jan
    I know this probably didn't help much.

10. Melissa

Melissa member

I always do mine breast-side up. I use the resulting broth in my dressing the next day. The turkey is not bland, but I use plenty of herbs and spices, like ground sage, parlsey, chives, garlic, coarse ground pepper (all colors) and a bit of seasoned salt.

11. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Stop it! :nono: I'm confused and trying to picture a turkey standing. :shrug: :stars:

Seriously, I did cook a turkey breast side down once and it was really good.

I'd like to try cooking a turkey all night but I'm afraid the smell of it would keep us awake.

12. tallpines

Almost as confusing as trying to figure out if the Packers or the Vikings are the poorest playing football team!

13. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you, I suspected that there was more to it than just water. We brine ours overnight and roast to an internal temp. of 165f, mmmm.

14. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

I have always done our turkey this way. DH likes it falling off the bone. Makes it hard to stuff tho...hahahahaha. An inch of water, salt, pepper, sage. Delish......makes a to die for gravy....

15. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Just for giggles, I was picturing a turkey on one of those chicken/beer can things - only feet in the air. Get it -- upside down turkey?

I do the salt/sugar brine thing -- salt and sugar in water in an ice chest as the turkey finishes defrosting. Then slow cook in a low oven.

Marlene

16. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

marlene i was thinking the same thing.those drunk chickens are the best in the world.i wonder how a person could do a turkey like that.whats the biggest beer can made???..lol...maybe use a small crock type thing and fill it with a couple of quarts of beer then place turkey over that....what do you think??....anyone done this before??

17. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member