We did it...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Sep 7, 2004.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We just signed the papers on three beautiful acres on top of one mountain ridge, overlooking a valley with a view of the opposite mountain ridge. We got it for less than the listed price with low interest rate and the seller actually explained an amortization table and how we can use it to pay off the mortgage sooner.

We can move our singlewide onto the property, it's already set up for one with septic, water meter and power pole. Then we can live there while building a house.

Here's a link to one of the pictures...

http://www.lovejoyrealty.com/viewimage.php?imageID=173&type=listing
    Our 3 Acres

The view is better looking the other way and the slope is not as abrubt as it looks and it should be perfect for some goats.

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

I'm so happy for you.

Where about is this in relation to like Birmingham, or Huntsville? Just trying to get a general idea of your part of Alabama....

Enjoy.....

AngieM2

3. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Beautiful! Congratulations! :D

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Thank you,

It's in St. Clair County, Odenville School district, Odenville water, Friendship fire district, Pell City phone, and Ashville Address, well outside anyone's city limits.

We'll be overlooking beautiful Shoal Creek Valley. About an hour's drive from where I work in Vestavia Hills. It's a little closer than where we now live in Walker County and this is our land. We're presently renting.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:) Beautiful view!

Nicely done! :D

6. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Beautiful spot. Now hang on for the adventure, it's gonna be a wild ride!! Have fun and enjoy :D

7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We're going to try to document everything we do with pictures and a journal. Can't wait to actually be living there.

8. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

congratulations!

Mike

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I am sooo happy for you!!!! What kinda house you gonna build?

10. ksbrooke

ksbrooke Well-Known Member

That is just beautiful! Congratulations! How exciting...keep us posted on your progress....when are you all gonna be able to move?
    Brooke

11. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

I think that is just awesome! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it.

12. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations! How soon do you hope to be able to move and enjoy that gorgeous view? Hope it turns out to be your dreams come true.

PQ

13. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

This is old family land from 3 generations ago. I grew up with my grandfather telling me stories about living in Shoal Creek Valley. One night as a kid, he and his brothers were walking home from church and they got spooked from some noise and they prayed that God would let them get home. According to the story, a light shown down on the road in front of them.

We'll probably have to wait until we get our tax return before we can move. We've got to get a building there for the birds first. This will be no small feat. We have over 60 parrots with most of the cages 3X3X6. We've got to have shelter for them first. We can't move there until we can move the birds. I have no idea how we'll be able to be both places at the same time. We can't move our house until we move the birds, but if we move the birds first, then how will we feed them every day. From here to there is almost 2 hours.

I can't wait to actually have to figure out the logistics of this. What fun it will be. We may end up buying another singlewide. The differences between what another repo will cost us set up weighed against the moving costs of this one and what we can sell this one for will have to be carefully calculated.

We want to build a strawbale home. We'll start with building an office/computer room off the backdoor of the trailer and see how we can progress with that. How easily can you add onto strawbale structures?

14. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

Nice view, Daybird! Maybe you should set up a website w/pics to document your progress. That's what we did, and our friends and family across the nation are always asking us when the next set of pics will be posted. It's a great way to share your experience with others. :)

15. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Strawbale!!!! When you draw up your original plans, just decide then where you want to put the addition so you won't have to do any fancy roofing work. If you will have a door to the addition that you don't want to use until then, just frame it in and fill with strawbales and plaster over it. Then you just have to cut away the plaster and remove the straw. You will end up with an interior straw bale wall, which isn't a big deal, but looks nice.

You gonna build a strawbale house for your birds?

16. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Oh how exciting. The view is beautiful. I am so happy for you.

17. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I might. I'm very concerned about air quality and humidity levels. The parrots have to be misted several times each week and that raises the humidity alot. I do want to do some kind of solar something. Perhaps as simple as a pole barn construction kinda dug into the hill. Here's a link to a passive solar aviary that I might try to model it after.
    http://summersbirds.com/images/earthship.htm
    Toucans Pictures

I do want to collect rainwater and have one of those cool solar fans. I'd like to at least have the bird house "off the grid."

The slope is a southeast exposure, which I think will be good to block most of the bad weather and the hot, afternoon sun in the summer. We'll have some of the most gorgeous sunrises to wake up to. I will try to set up a webpage and get some pictures of the view from the road.

18. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Thanks everybody. It's so great to hear nice things from you all. Especially since my mom is now very upset. We're currently living across the road from her and will be moving almost 2 hours away.

19. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Is there anyway you could convert your temp shelter to a big fancy house for the birds, once your house is built?

20. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

That's exactly what my wife wants to do. I think I'd prefer something more energy efficient.