Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banjo Makin' Farmer Dad
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to all who answered my other thread "Goat issues"

I spent the day building a milk stanchion.
I did some research to see what I needed and built my own version from wood I had layin around. looks "ok" but it works like a charm. Once all was done and ready "Hienz",my doe, did real good.

I used all the tips and I almost new what to do before she was reacting. It took a bit of getting her to relaxed w/ the whashcloth boiled in water - then added equal part cold after sterilized. I grabed on to the teat with the washcloth and she lifted her hind leg just like one of you mentioned. I held on and she calmed down. Then, bam I started goin and the colestrum started flowin. I froze about a quart or so, so far, for the next set of kids that needs it.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
I'm SO glad it worked out! Yay!

NeHi

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Definitely freeze colostrum. You never know when you are going to need it. I had some frozen from the year before and got a call from a neighbor that one of her ewes just lambed and died, she had triplets and lost one, but two were alive and minutes old. Did I want them. I did and had them in my kitchen by the time they were 30 mintues old and feeding them their first feeding within 45 minutes of birth. They did great and I'm sure it is due to having had colostrum on hand. Goat colostrum is better than no colostrum and certainly better than the fake stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts