We cut the cord

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by SweetSarah, Dec 5, 2006.

1. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

Our cable will be downgraded to basic channels only this Friday. I'm kinda nervous about it but know that it will bring far more good things than bad. I'm just worried about the adjustment period. Afterall, I've been spoiled witha kajabillion channels all my life. Just curious about those of you out there that have made this same choice in the past. What differences did you see in your life? Was it hard to get used to? Did you ever end up going back?

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we have basic and before had it all
    one thing i can tell you is either way there isnt crap to watch

3. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I haven't had any TV for over a year.

I find I read more, I knit more, and I surf the web about the same amount. :)

I would get started watching TV and be completely unable to turn it off, even if nothing I wanted to watch was on, it was just .. addictive. Through various circumstances, we've had no TV at all for a year and I don't miss it. Ok, I miss Star Trek and HGTV, but I am just as happy renting movies and skipping all the commercials and stupidity that is on TV these days. My kid, I think, is much much much much better this way.

Just get yourself some good books, maybe an audiobook or two, and a craft you enjoy. You'll love the quiet.

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

We dumped tv about seven years ago and got Netflix about two years ago. I enjoy having TOTAL control over what we watch. Baaawwwwaaaaaa!!!!!!
    Can't stand to watch TV at all anymore, just too annoying. Can't stand commercial radio either. So Netflix, NPR and the Internet. Now I can read without interruption, when DGD lets me!

5. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I should say upfront that I'm not a fan of TV, never have liked it. My family feels a bit differently though. We had all the channels and I talked them down and now we have nothing but what we can get with a basic antenna. We got Netflix instead (we get 5 at a time right now) and love that. We get so many netflix because I just can't take it when my family wants to watch some piece of junk on TV, so I figure I would cushion the netflix so we always have something to watch. I would huck the whole kit and kaboodle out the door but have been over ruled many times over. Netflix is a much better alternative as far as I'm concerned, no commercials is fabulous, I hated the kids watching all those ads.

6. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

no calbe for over 5 years, dont miss it cept for history channel and the food network

7. bare

bare Head Muderator

Yeesh, I'm just the opposite. Didn't have any reception for many years until we got satellite. Now with Tivo, I love it even more. Total control over what I watch and when!

Think I'd miss it now, but as long as I had internet access I'd survive, even on my slow dialup.

8. Acts2:38girl

Acts2:38girl Well-Known Member

We had Netflix for 3 years, with no cable TV. Recently we just got back the satalite dish, and I'm not to pleased! What is up with these commercials? Do they think all men are morons? There has been such a switch in tv commercials - with women being the smart, witty, decision makers and the men are all nit-wits. I liked Netflix more, and the library. That was a good source for videos, and you always pick up a few books while you are there!

9. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

No T.V. here. It has been a much better life without it. :)
    I have a REAL LIFE and do so much more with it! I do have DVD & VHS players for when I want to see a movie - maybe once a week, or when somebody is sick.
    T.V. was too much negative energy in my life. I've save $1000's over the years - not just from no Cable bill, but from all the stuff I was not "programed" to buy or thought I needed. That would be everything from the current shoe fashion to
    food.
    T.V. is a drug (for your mind & soul) and makes you a zombie/slave. Yes SLAVE.
    If you don't think so, try to go a year without it.

veme

10. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We did "no TV" for quite a while and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We had NetFlix and we watched movies in a couple hours with no commercial interruptions. Then the husband demanded TV again, drove him nuts not being able to see the news or weather ;-) So we got satellite. And of course, it comes with a better-than-basic package to get you hooked.

I agree with the poster that said the TV goes on and stays on. Now I remember why I didn't like the TV. He comes home, has dinner, goes in to watch the news or what not... TV comes on and stays on. Regardless of whether or not we've run through the channels several times looking for something to watch. Movies now are 3 hour things because of the ads...

I don't think TV makes you a zombie or slave... if you're sitting around knitting it is fun to have a storyline to keep your attention... and only a true idiot is "brainwashed" into wanting that AB machine which, in only 10 minutes a day, will turn you into some Adonis. Who, by the way, is 20 years younger than you are.

But I do think it goes on and stays on, whether or not it makes sense to have it on. And I find that annoying.

11. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

we get 5+ channels, no cable. We rent movies from blockbuster and libary on occasion. We have shows we watch on the networks, but only on Monday and Wednesday evenings. If we watch TV on other nights it just to kill some time. However, I almost always have a book or magazine I'm reading while the TV is on.

We also buy old movies from the libary at sale time, at a $1 a movie, if we watch it once or twice, it's cheaper than driving to the liabry, certainly cheaper than netflicks or cable.

I would love to get some of the cable channels again.. HGTV, Dicovery, TLC, etc, but to get the channels I want would cost an additional $50+ a month.... I can check out some good documentaries at the libary.

You'll adjust, it will take a few days, but you will adjust.

12. TeachMe

TeachMe Active Member

I've had digital (parents), regular , and basic cable. My conclusion is that even with hundreds of channels there's usually nothing to watch, so I have no cable now. I probably spend too much time on the computer, but at least I feel like I'm learning things instead of just absorbing whatever the advertisers and producers want me to absorb. Plus I save money not having cable. I have sincerely considered just not even having a TV.

13. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

We had satellite and cut it out because of cost. We now get just the channels we can get with our antenna which is ABC,CBS,NBC and PBS. Do I miss all the channels..no. If could, I would get HGTV, TLC, DISCOVERY and Speed (we are nascar fans) but seeing thats not possible we stick to just the channels we can get. Didn't make that big of a difference in our lives by not having it.

14. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

We are getting ready to "cut the cord", as in, cancel our dish network. Its one of the cutbacks we are doing in an effort to pay off our debt quicker. We pay $40 a month,which is $480 a year that could be put to better use. I've been really convicted for the last few months anyway about how much tv I watch and how much time I literally waste doing it and getting nothing else done. Time to change things. :rolleyes:

15. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

We had satellite before we moved. Due to expense, I shut it off. DH went crazy!! (I turned it off mid-race season) We now get 3 network channels with antenna. We can get the news, the weather and csi. We really don't watch at all anymore. Between homeschooling ds, repairs on the new place and all the learning we have been doing about homesteading, who has time anyway? There are always movies to rent, borrow or buy. There are tons of books in his library that he hasn't read yet. We all have library cards and use them. Even the kids. I can't wait for the day that the only "news" we get is on the radio and the only time the tv is on is for movies that we choose to watch. It's coming, too. DS almost never turns it on unless he has a movie to play. His gf burns him movies all the time, so there are lots to choose from. He is currently reading Enemy Glory, and some Tom Clancy novel at the same time. He just finished Romeo and Juliet. He asked for Shakepeare for Christmas after that. What kid reads that in this day and age when they can watch tv? MINE!

16. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

If sacrificing Premium cable chanels is cuting the cord, what does one call what we are doing- no utilities at all (and only a hand pump well, located 1500 feet down a switchback road for water).

We have enough solar electricity to power a few lights and a laptop computer on a partly sunny day.

If CRAZY comes to mind, I'll understand.

I must admit, that we do have an old 12 volt capable B&W TV that amazingly picks up about 8 stations!

Rick

17. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I get a fuzzy ABC, good CBS, CBC and PBS. For the most part the TV sits on CBS and I watch the local and national news with occasional forays to PBS if I'm up that late. No problem as far as I can see. If I had no TV at all I could adjust to it ok. Really, the only reason I watch the local news is because the local paper is now over $175 a year and who can afford THAT?

Jennifer

18. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Jennifer

PBS is great for Red Greens show!!!

19. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

I have 2 $1.00 ants I bought at the one dollar shop one is ducked tapped outside where someones old dish setup was and one in the house when I want nbc I plug the one from outside into small tv and when I want cbs I hook the one inside up to tv but thats all I can afford moslty only wathch cbs on monday nights need my laugh once a week with 2/12 men old christine, god bless,paula

20. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We have basic TV but only get a few channels, some of them show the same thing. I enjoy PBS, love those English comedies and the music shows.DH likes the football games and I read alot. I believe we get 12 channels, but we watch NBC news the most.