We are moving to Missouri!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by iowahopefuls, Jul 6, 2006.

1. iowahopefuls

iowahopefuls Well-Known Member

Still in California.. but making a good time of it
    After years of biting my tongue and trying to be patient we are finally moving to Missouri!! Well at least we are starting the move. We bought 7 acres and an orchard in NorthWest Missouri last summer. This year we have been working on it (as best we can living in Ca.) we are slowly moving things over and will finally make the big move in Spring of 2007!! Yeah for us!! The kids were a little put off at first (1 teenage girl,1 preteen, and a 9 year old) well except for the5 year old boy! Now they see it as an adventure. Hopefully a good one.

So who all lives in our area? I have seen posts on people from Missouri but I would like to hear from people up in our area. Any information, warnings, or general ideas would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!
    The VanKirks!

2. debra in ks

debra in ks Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. I was born and raised on a homestead near Carrollton MO, which is a little farming community in the north central part of the state. The boyfriend has a 50 acre farm near Dearborn which is not far from Smithville and St. Joseph in the northwest part. What town will you be near?

Expect very cold winters compared to what you might be used to as well as hot humid summers. You may have noticed that MO has some of the worst roads and bridges in the entire country!

The country people in MO are some of the best anywhere. The older folks especially are friendly and very willing to help neighbors and strangers in need. I hope it all works out well for you.

3. Northumberland

Northumberland Well-Known Member

No words of advice but do want to wish you good luck in your great adventure.

4. iowahopefuls

We will be in Worth, well outside of Worth. We are about 5 miles south of Grant City. We are looking forward to the winters. Were we live in California (San Bernardino Mtns) we get snow. We average 6-11 inches. There has been 2 major (at least to us) that had about 20 inches. The humidity doesn't really bother us either. My family thinks I am crazy for moving ( crazy in a good way,at least that's the way I take it) but our kids need some room to roam! Play in the yard, climb trees, and fish! And dang it I want some room for my chickens!
    Thanks for your words!!

The VanKirks

Yes the people are wonderful!!!! We live in a decent area (friendly wise) but the folks in Missouri were so nice!! I almost couldn't believe it! Everyone waves and says good morning or even just a smile!!! I love Missouri!!!

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I have a good friend who lives in a small town area 0 POP in town actually,
    and he is a wonderful man. We visit quite often and even attend church with him and have met a number of the church members and they are just the type of people that made this country great and friendly.

Do not try to change anything when you move there, pay your bills on time, go meet the sheriff and invite him to look over your place, use local facilities when you can, find a church that suits your family, DO NOT and I say Again DO NOT criticize ANYONE as you don't know who is related to who. just put a smile on say hello to everyone, listen to what the locals have to say, they have been there a long time, don't tell the locals how you did thins where you come from as they don't care how you did things there. They like to see how you are doing thing here. Also don't brag about what you own, because the person you are bragging to just might be a closet millionaire. We have a few of those around here.

MO Is a lot like AR and we love AR coming from Houston Tx 5 years ago.

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I understand your advice, but when I read it I always have to wonder... "are people really that insecure?" (not you, but the infamous "THEM" that you aren't suppose to anger/upset/trifle with)

7. chrisl

chrisl Well-Known Member

Hey Vankirks,
    Welcome....We live about 20 miles from Worth, and I work with several folks that live in Worth....Drop us a line when you get here....

The LaMaster's

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well, I am in Kansas just a couple hours from you. And, I started in San Jose!

Lets see, now. Things that I noticed.

Folks out here like the demented people on the coast to try out the new things. *IF* they work, THEN people here will try it! They ALSO regard the folks on the coast as a little crazy, for trying out every new and unproved idea!

There is less variation in the arts, probably because the immigrants are from fewer nations. We do HAVE immigrants, but the areas near the ports have immigrants from more countries to inspire creativity.

You need to learn the local language of how to say "I am not prejudiced" because it is different out here. And, in many areas each race sort of lives in it's own area, which bothers me a little. It is more pronounced than in California.

Land is cheaper, the person you meet on the street is more capable, people gripe less, the landscaping is better, and the weeds are worse because it is wetter out here. And, some grasses really WILL grow 5' tall! Grass LOVES this country!

The main growing season is in spring and fall, and it gets hot and sort of stops raining in July/August. People here are just STARTING to have Fall gardens, most people do not start greens in the fall. But, you can.

Spring is short. Do not waste it. And, the tomatos do not yeild NEARLY as much as in California because the growing season is shorter. A family out here will plant a dozen or 2 dozen plants if they plan to do canning. And, there is something fiendish called a cucumber beetle that kills cucumber plants with a virus, so a cuke plant does not last all season.

Will post more if I think of it! :nerd:

OH! as a previous poster says, be carefull who you critisize because it really MIGHT be somebodies brother! A LOT of folks are related to half the county!

OH! Yes!

People really ARE more likely to give you a hand if you are in trouble. As my Father said when his vehicle was repaired WAY before schedule so that he could get back on the road again, he knew he wasn't in California any longer! (On the down side, you are more likely to have to wait for a part to be mailed in!)

9. silverbackMP

silverbackMP Well-Known Member

My grandmother and greatgrandmother used to have quite abit of acerage in the bottoms around Dalton. She still has some in the eastern side of Chariton Co (Salisbury area) and western side of Randolph.

10. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, and welcome neighbor. I live in the St. Joseph area. I think MO is one of the best places to live. The people are down-to-earth and friendly here. We are 50 minutes from the big city, (KC), and still in a rural area. We are close ot MWSU and a medical center is only 10 miles away. Most of our area is good farm and grazing land. However there are exceptions. The area around Rushville is somewhat steep and rocky. And the bluffs along the Missouri River are really steep.
    The only warning I have is to just be yourself and don't be afraid to ask for advise from older farmers. The one thing we Missourians resent is for people to buy up land to build on next to our farms and then complain about the smell and clutter. Best wishes for your move!!!!

11. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Not insecure Bob.Just that MOST people that move to the COUNTRY want to change it to reflect what they left behind.Never did understand that mind set.

We don't want it changed,after all isn't that why they wanted to move here?
    COUNTRY:no street lights,gravel roads,old pick-ups,shooting,no sidewalks,
    houses that fit the environs,(no McMansions),don't like being called ignorant because I don't want paved roads,etc,etc,etc.

Not everyone,just most in my neck of the woods.Most everyone here are related.No they did't marry their sister,they just did't leave and have been here a lomg time.My children were born where I live and I hope they never leave.

12. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

No I don't believe "They" are insecure, but what happens is some people move into and area and want to have things changed to their liking.

Getting dirt roads paved, $$$, Getting the buildings cleaned up on main street$$$, Having laws passed that restrict farm animals, Complaining about farm smells, etc. generally asking for the same things that they left the city to get away from.
    People where I live like the freedoms here and resent anyone from trying to take those freedoms away.

IE: Two outsiders bought some land here and tried to sneak a wetback holding detention center here. Well the locals found out we all rose to the occasion and fought like crazy and the detention center will not be built here.
    The land was not sold to the people and the people were asked not to move here.
    Our local representative stood up at the town meeting and stated "What ever you people want to do is what I will follow as I am your representative and I am here to serve the majority"You don't see or hear that anymore so we don't want that to change!!!!! :)

13. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Right on Siryet.Yea Arkansas.

14. iowahopefuls

Trust me we are not moving to Missouri to make it like California! I was born and raised here but I have had it with this place! We love the mountains where we live but even up here is getting crowded! We just want to enjoy our family,have a few animals, grow a garden, and fish. I don't expect anybody to change something because I don't like it (btw my kids LOVE dirt roads!)
    As for watching who you talk about. I have a ton of stories about this! There are 5 of us girls. The older 3 are from my mom's first marriage. Myself and baby sister from mom's 2nd. Well the 3 older ones are full blooded Mexicans and look Mexican. My sister and I are only 1/2 Mexican and look white. Well needless to say we have had someone at one point or another say something to one of us about one of us. A few times it has gotten a little rough! Just goes to show you never can tell!! Thanks for the warning though!
    LaMaster's! We will be looking you up! What type of work do you do? The people we bought our home from live in Hatfield, and they are the cream of the crop!! We look forward to meeting everybody and anybody!! My dh and bil will be out there next week, if you can find the time.

Thanks!
    Danielle

15. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

North West Missouri is my old stomping grounds. I have lived in seven different small towns and, being from the "big" city of St. Joseph, I got me taught a thing or two about small town living.

The advice is great about being careful to not criticize anyone. I would add that every chance you get to help some one out, do so. Be generous with your thanks, and if possible, bring by a plate of cookies or what ever your speciality is. ( unless it's organically grown goat cheese pancakes or something like that :) )

If a neighbor lends you anything be very dilligent to return it, cleaned and in the same shape it was returned. We borrowed a circular saw and it broke on us as we were using it, dh immediately bought another one exactly like it and returned both of them. The neighbor insisted that this was not necessary but it certainly helped in building relationships.

Count on everyone being related to everyone. And, it doesn't matter how much of a loser a local person is, his side will be taken overy yours until you establish yourself, and that will take a long time.

There is an old joke that one is considered a "newbie" untill he has 2 generations buried at the cemetary.

Never talk about the schools or the recreation ( or lack of) with anyone.
    And don't be the first to suggest changing anything.

Are people really that insecure? Heck yes, I was snubbed because I once said I thought it was stupid that kindergarden kids couldn't wear shorts to school. My husband's boss asked him to have me take the ----------for president sticker off my car because it looked bad for his business.

It is all something you take in stride and realize that the move to the country is really worth it. Just like anywhere, there are going to be some bad things that you'll have to work around.

I think you will really enjoy living here in the mid west.

16. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Sorry, let me clarify a bit.

If the folks in an area are happy with the way things are... a simple "outsider" shouldn't be able to change that. If the outsider comes and brings ideas that appeal to enough folks, then things would change... and if that's what the majority want (not what I would want personally) that's what they will get.

Where I live, in our township, there is not one traffic light. We had a guy in who was running for trustee and the people here said: Nope, don't want you because we don't want your change. He had new ideas, but we knew they were not what we wanted. But he's still a neighbor and friend.

That's all I am saying. I think the advice was sound, I just am always amazed that someone would be shunned because they said the wrong thing. I guess I am a little saddened by it. Sometimes the way you have done something really IS a better way. In fact it's the reason I belong to this board, because I am willing to learn about others ways of doing things, try 'em, dismiss 'em, modify 'em, or make 'em my own.

If I am doing something and someone shows me a better way to do it... that's good for ME.

I especiallys saddened when I read about people who are ostracized because they aren't related to folks, and not part of the local good ol' boy network.