Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the stray dog CC (Charity case) has been popping out puppies all afternoon! WHen will it stop :shrug: Last count was ten, yes ten more dogs to find a home for! Gotta love strays; guess she picked the right home to have them. And what a learning experience for an 11 year old son! Will post pics when I can figure out how to do that. And if anyone wants a pup 8-12 weeks from now; I'll have plenty.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Oh no! I just finished reading your other thread about whether or not you were having puppies. It's a darn good thing you found her when you did so that she had good nutrition to grow those pups on. Reminds me of the 101 dalmations for some reason :eek:
Guess you'll be meeting lots of new folks as you pound the pavement looking for homes for the crew. Thanks for being one of the good ones.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Congrats...well kinda. But you gotta admit there is something about puppies that makes you smile- planned or not :) Keep us posted on how it all goes. Where did she whelp? With that many pups you have some work to do. You will have to make sure they all get a chance to nurse every few hours- especially the smaller ones. As they grow (after 48 hours) you may want to go through and offer pups the bottle a few times a day. Just make sure you are not supplementing only the smallest...you want them to get mom's milk too. I feed the biggest to middle sized ones and that gives the littles a chance to get thier fill and catch up. Colors? Photos?

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I felt horrible this afternoon. I brought her inside the house last night and she stayed with me the whole time being a good girl; no accidents; nothing. I came in from my outside critter check and decided to take her out to potty. Well, she squatted to...well you know. Out came a liquid filled bubble! I rushed her back into the house and into the laundry room. Ducked into the adjacent bathroom and grabbed the rug off the floor and armful of towels. Spread them out for her and she assumed her spot for the day. So far no more new ones; so I think ten is it. She has been a really good girl and not mean about anyone getting near her. We've looked in on her, but have tried to give her some space for adjusting. I am now hoping the rescue group comes through with homes! There are some really cute ones though..must...resist...any more...dogs...(and the little puppy wimpers doesn't help much either) :)

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Why did you feel horrible? Sounds like you helped her out quite a bit! I would love to see pictures too...I can't resist puppies!

It's strange about all the large litters. My sister's two Labs had large litters (8 in one, 11 in the other) and the litter my pup Eoghan came from was 14!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I think 8-12 is average for medium/large sized dogs, Dingo came from a litter of 7 and his mom was cocker sized.

·
Registered
623 Posts
oh, and did I mention the sharp little teeth trying out my skin all over and the way they sort of "tip over" so easily....

nothing is so wonderful as a puppy...

·
Registered
136 Posts
My Daschund had six puppies two weeks ago. This is her first litter. These are some pics of her and the babies. She has 4 boys and two girls.

They are opening their eyes now.
The date is wrong on my camera that is why it says feb.
Mellissa

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Congrats on the puppies! Thank goodness she has you to help and care for her :)

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was feeling bad cause I had her get up to go outside and then when I saw the bubble; I was thinking she was gonna drop them right there in the front yard! I'm a first time doggy mom so of course everything has me worried. I was shocked when I came in to see a puppy tail wagging from inside her. I was thinking OMG what am I supposed to do. SHe pushed a little more til its butt was sticking out and then she reached back there and pulled it out herself! Don't know if that's normal but it had me freaked out. Now we're trying to figure out her feed budget! Should we keep a bowl of dry kibbles at her side the whole time or keep her on two meals a day? SHe's on 18 % protein kibbles right now and gets a can once a day mixed ito the kibbles (keeps them from eating just the good stuff).
They are cute. Bunch of blacks, black & white, browns, brown & black. One is tan, black muzzle, black ears and little black wiggly stripes from nose to ear. And another has a tail that is curly like a pig. We've been joking here as to which of our animals is the daddy...like the one with the pig tail. But we do know that Daddy ain't nothing we have here. She met him on the road somewhere...too bad we can't get puppy support.
If someone can explain how to get pictures posted, I'll get them posted. Then everyone can take their pick and they'll be ready in acouple months! Gosh how do you find homes for that many?! Especially in this economy which is harsh in my area.

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to add, literally, there are now twelve puppies as of this morning. So another question to those more experienced...is she done? How do you know when it's over? She started yesterday afternoon. about 9 last night there was 10 pups, and then this morning there was two more. She has spaced them out pretty good. So is "it" corked now?

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She shoulda kept her legs crossed and we wouldn't be in this mess!

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
She needs to be on a premium dog food- that's a lot of milk she needs to produce. Instead of looking at the % of protein, look at the ingredients. The first ingredient should be a whole meat or fish. Feed her as often as she needs, you'll figure it out over the next couple of days. You might want to go to three feedings. Keep water with her, nursing moms need plenty of water.

·
Cannon Farms
550 Posts
In the past when I had a large litter, I would seperate them and alternate puppies every few hours, I had a rubbermade tub that I had a puppy warmer in , mom should produce enough milk, its the weaker smaller ones that cant fight as well to their share.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Add cottage cheese to her food. Helps provide calicum and prevents matistis.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was feeling bad cause I had her get up to go outside and then when I saw the bubble; I was thinking she was gonna drop them right there in the front yard! I'm a first time doggy mom so of course everything has me worried. I was shocked when I came in to see a puppy tail wagging from inside her. I was thinking OMG what am I supposed to do. SHe pushed a little more til its butt was sticking out and then she reached back there and pulled it out herself! Don't know if that's normal but it had me freaked out. Now we're trying to figure out her feed budget! Should we keep a bowl of dry kibbles at her side the whole time or keep her on two meals a day? SHe's on 18 % protein kibbles right now and gets a can once a day mixed ito the kibbles (keeps them from eating just the good stuff).
18% protein is NOT high enough, especially for a nursing mother (and of ten!) Something in the 23-26% would be much better. A good, premium dog food would be even better. You do not want any fillers (like corn) listed in the first five ingredients. A good way of evaluating kibble can be foundHERE or check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com

She should get her kibble free choice, 24/7. Especially because she was malnourished when coming to you. Make sure that she has PLENTY of clean water at all times...she will, or should, drink a lot. At this time she needs to be able to drink/eat whenever she wants/needs to. I know a lot of breeders that dress up kibble with chopped up hard-boiled eggs, cottage cheese, high-calorie wet food, beef/chicken, meat broth etc.
Just think of her like a brand new nursing human mother - all you can eat, high in calories, high in protein, and LOTS of liquids.

With twelve pups (or more!)I also recommend supplement feeding...either take a couple of the bigger ones away to make sure the little ones get some, or take little ones away and supplement them. Either PMR or google "homemade puppy formula" there's a lot of recipes out there.

---
With a lot of bitches you can tell when they're done by their attitude. Content, sigh of relief-ish. But that's not a hard rule.

·
Registered
623 Posts
When my dog had her pups, the vet recommended premium puppy chow to give her all the nutrition she needed. I used Science Diet. I fed her free choice, too, as she was raised that way and never did over eat... just nibbles here and there.

Dogs that don't inhale their food are good candidates for feeding free choice. If she is the type to hoover up a bowl of dog food as soon as you set it down, then you probably do need to do scheduled meals. Free choice, IMO, is the best way to feed a nursing mother because of the constant drain on them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts