we are geting our first beef calf today...any tips

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by malickfarms, Sep 9, 2006.

1. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

:happy: we are getting our first beef calf today and we are wondering if anyone has any tips for us. we plan to let him out on 1.5 acre pasture with our goats and sheep. he is a 1 week old holstein. is the pasture too lush for him. we are planning on bottle feeding him 2-3 times a day, does that sound right? im sure im forgetting something ill post back. thanks

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

No offense intended, but you should have been asking these questions several weeks before its arrival.

The best book I have found on this subject is Raising a Calf for Beef by Phyllis Hobson (A Garden Way Book). If you are a member of your local library they should be able to get a loaner copy for you.

At that age the primary value of the pasture will be sunshine. It will, however, benefit from a stall area at night.

You have already purchased milk replacer and a nippled bottle haven't you? If not, you need to get thee to a farmers' co-op or such as most I have seen are only open until noon on Saturday. While there also purchase a copy of bags of electrolite just in case. If the calf starts pooping yellow its diet is too rich. Replace next feeding with the electrolite.

You didn't mention sex. With the assumption it is still a bull, you might consider banding now. Ask around the area. Someone who raises cattle likely has a banded they can loan and a ring. Just make sure both testicles are under the band when released.

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

At that young age I would be keeping him/her penned up with a view of the other animals and pasture. Do not OVERFEED the calf, slightly underfeeding is more beneficital and will not harm the animal. Feeding the required daily amount at three different times throughout the day is ideal. Calves don't ever drink 2 qts of milk from their moms during any feeding so why not feed your bottle calf smaller quanities three times a day rather than twice a day....Tennessee John

4. malickfarms

no offense taken, but the phone rang about 3 hours ago. it is a male. as for supplies, my wife works part time at the local feed store (open til 6pm anyways).

5. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd keep him penned, too. He doesn't need pasture yet and this way you can keep track of his manure, to see if he scours or not. Also you can start him on feed without the other animals getting it away from him.

Jennifer

6. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Very good point there...Very good.

7. malickfarms

we got him home yesterday. we have him in an 8 X 8 stall for the time being. we were told to keep him there for about a week, or until he warms up to us. he sucked down his bottle real good last night. he is getting a bit curious about grain i left about a cup of grain in there for him. he is a little spooked right now. i suppose that is natural. today i am gonna start weaning him onto calf milk replacer (it has a coccistat in it)

8. wkyongae

wkyongae Active Member

Every dairy farmer I've ever talked to has said that a balling calf (one that wants more food) is a healthy calf. So that is what we use as a guide and the poop color to know how much to feed.

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Please post periodic progress reports to benefit others considering the same thing.