We adopted a dog!

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by LittleMrsAdams, May 16, 2017.

1. LittleMrsAdams

LittleMrsAdams Well-Known Member

So, we've been talking about adopting a dog for a while now, but lots of things kept delaying our ability to actually do it. Well last week we finally cleared the last hurdles, so Saturday we went to the animal shelter to see what animals were available. There were quite a few dogs, but we had several requirements and weren't expecting to find a match that day. The list was good with kids, even tempered, not a puppy, and medium sized.

We got back to the kennels and it was crazy. The dogs were barking and my kids wanted to pet ALL the animals. Much to my surprise, we found not one but TWO dogs that fit what we were looking for. My husband wanted the first we came across but got outvoted when we saw the second. Arizona - the name that was on her information sheet - was in her kennel calm as could be and didn't bark like most of the others when we came up to her.

We asked the control officer if we could interact with her out of the kennel, so he put her on a lead and brought her to the lobby where he took the lead off and just let her loose. She never barked, didn't try to chew on anything but was curious at the same time and didn't get freaked when my kids got really close. Want to know the best part? My 11 year old autistic son - who doesn't like dogs - pet her and didn't cringe in fright when she went near him!

She had to be left at the shelter until she could be spayed which is scheduled for tomorrow, then we get to pick her up from the animal hospital and bring her home. No idea if she's had any training, but I'm thinking she's had a little at least 'cause she didn't try to pee or poo and she wasn't afraid of the collar/leash. Plus her info card said she'd been surrendered and not picked up off the streets. Either way we'll be working with her daily!

hunter63, DragonFlyFarm and kalmara like this.
  2. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

We lost our last of 3 Mastiffs almost a year ago. Being we are getting older we hesitated to go right out and replace them. Over the winter we figured that we needed to have a dog in the house. After having one consistantly for 27 years the house seemed so empty.

So with the suggestion of a lot of people we looked into adoption. We stopped in for a visit at the local Humane Society shelter. The people were very nice and the place was super clean. They had 12 dogs there.

They explained the adoption process and gave me an application. I mailed it to them the next day. That was 2 months ago - and not a word from them. You would think that even if they denied my application for some reason they would at least let me know.

That was enough for me - I'm not going to beg them to respond to my application.

We found our new pup on a local classified ad. We feel we kind of rescued him anyway. A young lady in her 20's with 2 infants was selling him. Besides the 2 infants she worked 12 hour overnight shifts. When we picked him up he was lathargic and dehydrated. We think he must have been in his crate without food or water for days.

So we rescued Jake - and he rescued us - win/win!

hunter63 likes this.

3. LittleMrsAdams

Wow, kind of rude not to contact you. All we had to do was give our name and address and pay the fee then she was ours.

Sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you found Jake!

In The Woods likes this.
  4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

In the Woods, you should have called them. It could be they never received the app, could be they keep it on file for when you come back to pick out a dog. Yes, they should call, but these offices often are not run by experienced office staff. But, it all turns out for you and that poor dog. Win/win

Little Mrs. Adams, you seem to have a handle on things. One of my fosters just sparkled, even though she had had a rough life. I knew she was destined for someone special. That special person was an autistic teenage boy. They are inseparable and his parents are so pleased (and patient).

hunter63 and IMFoghorn like this.
  5. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

My mixed pup weinerimer and pit maybe. Was bought by a new new mother as well. Had no time ect... 4 week old puppy. Very shinny 4 pounds. Now she is 60 pounds fixed and a pain in the butt. But I really like her.

6. LittleMrsAdams

Well, we got a call from the vet after doing heartworm testing and the poor girl has them. The treatments are expensive, but her chances are good 'cause she's only about a year old.

We brought her home yesterday. Only time she barked was when I told her "no". She was trying to jump the hate blocking the kitchen, it was funny and I wish I'd taken a video. She hasn't tried again, except when I'm already in there then she follows me and I have to put her back on the other side.

7. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

So glad you got the dog that works so well with your austistic son. That means so much!

8. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

There is a special in heaven for dog families.
    He who has had the most dogs when they get there....Wins....again and again.

9. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I hope when I get to heaven I also get a nice bank account.

Adopted a (adult) dog a year ago. Didn't have him long before he was over the five foot fence, sleeping on the neighbor's porch...neighbor is terrified of dogs. He thinks she's WONDERFUL. He likes to "bounce" off fences with all four feet...he is 65 pounds and can tear down a fence pretty quickly.

So, new wood 7 foot fence $4,000. Two days after it was installed I heard anoise, looked up, and he's hanging 8 off the top. Found a way to keep him from hitting the fence.

He is "mouthy", loves to play with a squeeky ball, and to run with anything in his mouth. Broke an upper canine tooth. Took a look at the options, and his age and habits. He ended up with a root canal and gets a nice, shiny steel canine tooth installed Thursday.

So, new tough tooth, $2,300. I asked the dentist if at that price, I could get a nice engraving on the tooth...dollar bill with wings.

By the time I get to heaven, I may NEED that bank account.

Mon

hunter63 likes this.
  10. LittleMrsAdams

Sounds like you need that bank account now frogmammy!

11. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL! Wouldn't hurt!

Surprising the number of things that can be done medically for humans that they can NOW do for animals. I found it interesting that they even accept Care Credit at this clinic.

He is now fully enjoying life again, back to wearing out squeeky balls and chasing invaders out of the yard.

Mon