Wax Build up

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hilda, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Anyone here have a rabbit that had a heavy build up of wax in its ears?

Took Oreo to a rabbit vet yesterday because he keeps shaking his head but I couldn't see any evidence of mites or other critters. He has always shook his head, last week he was ill, then recovered but still with the head shaking.

The vet found a lot of wax in his ears, cleaned them out as well as she could and gave me drops. She said it was rare and didn't know why it would happen. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this?

Thanks

2. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Are you sure it was not ear mites? That is brown, flakey oily build up in the ears.

LIsa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

3. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa,

It's really the oddest thing. His ears have always looked clean & pink, no yuckies at all. She only saw the ear wax because she looked deep into his ears with that light thingie (don'tcha love the technical jargon?). The vet took the ear wax and looked for mites under the microscope and she couldn't see any evidence. No mites, no fleas, no lice, no parasites at all. The wax itself was thick, hard and yellowish.

I'm beginning to think it's my destiny to have the strangest rabbits and experiences.

4. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

LOL - just think of yourself as in training to help the rest of us with our rabbit maladies. You will be a great source of all knowledge. :rolleyes:
    Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com