watery eyes, only symtom..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by maryanne, Aug 7, 2005.

1. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

got my 2 new boer does yestersday, 1 has watery eyes, but is fine in all other ways(shes eating, curious, bleating ,in heat..lol.. and drinking), what do I need to do?

2. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I have one doe that has watery eye(s) quite often. Several goat people and my vet said it is probably allergies since there are no other symptoms and it is a recurring thing. I don't treat it with anything.

3. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I have a doeling that has the same problem. Eats, drinks runs and plays and is in overall good health. Her eyes will water at times. Sometimes alot, others just a little. Start paying attention to the weather and conditions when you notice the eyes water. Is it windy, dusty, hot, wet etc.. see if there is a pattern. That should tell you for sure. Mine, her eyes water when it is really hot and windy, otherwise, she doesn't have much of a problem. Since I know this, if I know it is going to be particularly hot with alot of wind (we get gusts of over 50 mph on a regular basis) I will move her into the barn for the better part of the day. That way she won't get any problems with sinuses or other allergy type symptoms. I figure if she is allergic, other symptoms can also develop.

4. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

If they begin to weep and dry to crispy gunk around the eye, treat with Terramyacin ointment and keep the flys away as they will spread pinkeye.

I hope its just allergies.

5. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member