Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D My blueberry plants from Waters just arrived AND THEY ARE GORGEOUS! They are as nice and healthy and goodlooking as the blueberry plant I've been worrying over and growing.

What a great tip Mutti gave on this. I am VERY pleased --- I can tell just by looking at them that these are some good plants and they've gotten some good care. :D :D
 

·
le person
Joined
·
6,244 Posts
Got mine and got them planted a little bit ago. :D They made the ones I planted this spring look awful, lol. I think they must have them in a greenhouse or something for them to be so full of green leaves. The ones I planted this spring have been dropping their leaves do to the cold weather (I assume).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
southerngurl said:
Got mine and got them planted a little bit ago. :D They made the ones I planted this spring look awful, lol. I think they must have them in a greenhouse or something for them to be so full of green leaves. The ones I planted this spring have been dropping their leaves do to the cold weather (I assume).
SG, have you been giving your a little coffee or tea every day or so? Mine sure do like their cup of motivation! :D
 

·
le person
Joined
·
6,244 Posts
No I haven't until today. I have started since you mentioned it a few days ago. I hope they are alright. I lightly scraped one that had lost all of it's leaves, and it's bright green under there, so it's alive. Just looks bad. :( fingers crossed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
southerngurl said:
No I haven't until today. I have started since you mentioned it a few days ago. I hope they are alright. I lightly scraped one that had lost all of it's leaves, and it's bright green under there, so it's alive. Just looks bad. :( fingers crossed
it is very important to make sure that the ph for blueberries is very low ...like 4.5 to 5.5
keep manure away from them and mulch them with a shredded hardwood mulch. I have 100 blueberries that I have planted and also wild ones growing here.
I still go to pick your own places every year. yum!
 

·
le person
Joined
·
6,244 Posts
it is very important to make sure that the ph for blueberries is very low ...like 4.5 to 5.5
keep manure away from them and mulch them with a shredded hardwood mulch. I have 100 blueberries that I have planted and also wild ones growing here.
I still go to pick your own places every year. yum!
Yes, I used sulpher on them. I have them mulched with pine needles. Is hardwood better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I planted mine in the front yard because of deer and other critters. The deer never come up front here --- they have plenty to eat out back --- and there's enough activity up front that other critters are discouraged, as well.

Planting them there is no guarantee they won't be raided, but it does lessen the chance. I'm working on figuring a way to further critter-proof them, but haven't yet figured it out.

Besides, the blueberries have really pretty foilage, so I figure they can double as ornamental bushes, especially in the fall.

I mulched mine with plain straw and will be getting some other stuff (chipped hardwood) in the next month or so. Since they've just been planted in the last week or so, I've cut back on their caffeine consumption :D , but will start it again in a week or so, or once I'm certain they've made it safely through transplanting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
I recently visited a CO mountain property run by a sustainable agriculture group. They planted a bunch of apple trees and deer are a constant threat to their garden. They used a metal mesh with 2"x4" holes. They layed down a 4'x4' piece of this metal mesh like a blanket with the tree in the middle. There was a 9" diameter opening cut in the center of the mesh for the tree. They used a 1/4" mesh about 2 foot high to surround the new trees like a stove pipe. I was told the deer wont step on the 2x4 mesh and the rabbits cant get through the 1/4" mesh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gobug said:
I recently visited a CO mountain property run by a sustainable agriculture group. They planted a bunch of apple trees and deer are a constant threat to their garden. They used a metal mesh with 2"x4" holes. They layed down a 4'x4' piece of this metal mesh like a blanket with the tree in the middle. There was a 9" diameter opening cut in the center of the mesh for the tree. They used a 1/4" mesh about 2 foot high to surround the new trees like a stove pipe. I was told the deer wont step on the 2x4 mesh and the rabbits cant get through the 1/4" mesh.
One of the things I'm hoping to do over the winter is to build a new front fence about 5'-7' up from where the front fenceline is now. In anticipation of doing that, I've been turning the current fence (which is cattle panel and wood posts) into garden areas w/ trellises --- right now, one side has loofah guards growing on it and, next year, the other side will have tri-color pole beans and some other things.

I planted the blueberries in front and back of one side of the cattle panel / wood post fences. My plan is to build a kind of lean-to guard which extends down from the top of the cattle paneling and over the blueberries. The area is full sun, so the blueberries will still get plenty of sun.

I may use a mesh-type stuff to do this --- I may not. I hesitate to put any kind of meshing on the ground, as I've already had to pull up so much rusted stuff like that and suffered a horrible injury summer before last when rusty wire flew out of my mower and deep into my leg.

I've already kind of done this with one of my raised beds --- I build the bed along a side fence for iris and daylilies and flowers and, almost immediately, the neighbor's horses started coming over and eating the flowers just to bug me. :haha: So I fashioned a lean-to with cattle panel. It also keeps the dogs out of that bed.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top