waterproofing wood

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Okie-Dokie, May 30, 2005.

1. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

What is a good preservative to use on my wooden porch? I can't afford the Thompson's Water Seal or equivilents. Just wondering if any one has a recipe for that stuff? What it is made out of and amounts of each additive. Thanks

2. Running Arrow

Running Arrow Member

Can't afford Thompson's ???

It is usually only about $10 to $15 a gallon! Gallon would probably cover 400 to 500 sq ft. Cheap insurance for the protection it provides. Don't think you would want to use "cheap" petroleum based materials or related.

3. Running Arrow

Running Arrow Member

Don't think the Thompson's people would publish their "secret" formula.

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

You could try linseed oil, but it's probably just as expensive as Thompson's. The Ultimate protection is polyurathane, but it's pricey too. The advantage is that it lasts longer than Thompson's. An enamal-based paint would work well too.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

You will either pay for a preservative now or pay to replace it when it rots later. Back when I lived in town my neighbor had his deck go to crap in a matter of a few years because he wouldn't treat it. "That's why I bought pressure treated wood so i wouldn't have to do that!" was his reply. Well, by the time I moved he was paying to replace it.

I consider Thompson's to be the bare minimum. Personally I use Sikkens products on all of my outdoor wood. It costs much much more than Thompson's but it lasts much longer and protects better. I pay way too much for wood these days to just let it rot.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I wouldn't recommend sealing or waterproofing a deck. Water will still get into the wood via a scratch or from underneath. The sealer will then keep this water in the wood and keep it from drying...just the opposite of what you wanted. I'd recommend a good quality stain that repels water but still allows the wood to "breathe." Besides, a sealed deck is slippery as heck after a rain.

7. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't waste your money on 'Thompson's', lasted less than a year on my pool deck. Go with oil based deck stain.

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I would also go with a deck stain for appearance and let the wood breathe. I've used Thompson's before and found it wasn't what I wanted as it was slick and like Cabin Fever mentions it seals to some extent, but won't last long. I guess the wood could 'breathe' from underneath where the sealant isn't applied, but I like the look of stain better.