waterproofing canvas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by slowsuki1, Mar 30, 2006.

1. slowsuki1

slowsuki1 Well-Known Member

looking for best way to waterproof and fireproof canvas.i've read a cople but looking for more one was oil and turpintine. some say the stuff you by in spray can. it is going to be outside all the time so it has to last as long as possable..

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hubby was just reading an article in an older of backwoods home (i think) about using canvas for roofing and using exterior paint to water proof it... you might check out that idea... check out their web site. sorry I cant offer more, just remember hubby telling me about it.

Belinda

3. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

Please be very careful of what you use to waterproof your tent. Here we had a tragedy where there was a family with 4 kids and they had just waterproofed their tent. They used a spray can to do it. Then they went camping. With the kids inside it the tent burst into flames killing all but 1 of the kids. Those poor kids took days to die after that fire. It was incredibly sad and very preventable. Even tho it was years ago I still feel really bad whenever I think about it. Please be very careful!

4. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

if you have the readers' digest book "back to basics" i think it's called.

the method i read used lime to waterproof, i believe.

5. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

i believe the book "the indian tipi" describes how the Authors made their own canvas tipi cover... or was it a couple who own a modern tipi company? I cant remember, but, They describe painting the outer side of the canvas cover once a year with "seamans water seal" wood treatment... claimed the cover lasted almost 20 years comparred to 5-10. Also these were used with fire inside.

6. slowsuki1

slowsuki1 Well-Known Member

that is one i forgot someone said use tomsons water seal. my main consern with paint or oil is how fire retardent it wolud be .

7. ozarkcat

ozarkcat Well-Known Member

Ugh, Thompson's water seal . . Tried that, got soaked the first time I went camping. The other alternative I knew of at that time was extremely flamable, so I didn't even try it (oil)

I've used successfully for several years:
    exterior laytex paint, half & half with water
    theatrical flame retardant
    mildecide (for killing mildew, found it at Lowe's or Home Depot)
    Mix them all together & you'll be able to do everything in one coat. I used this on my pavillion that we camped in for six months. We'd also used the pavillion on probably a good couple dozen camping trips, some of them lasting as long a 2 weeks, the shorter end being a couple nights. You'll want to make sure to get the corners of the seams well (i.e., where I had the only leak in the tent was where about 6 seams all came together in heavy canvas).

Hope that helps!