waterproof matchsticks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ozark-Dew, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

does anyone know the method of waterproofing matches? I am thinking it is probably a layer of parafin wax, but would like to know for sure - and how it is done.

thanks!

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

When I was in scouts (back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth), we would either dip in paraffin or clear nail polish (the cheap stuff).

As I recall, both methods worked equally well.

Pony!

3. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

But I think you can use the doble boiler method to melt wax and dip the matches in it. Another way is to coat them with shellac and let em dry good..Would like to hear more ideas on this myself.. :)

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

When I was a boy, my Father taught me to dip "kitchen matches" in candle wax to water-proof them prior to going deer-hunting. Worked very well.

However, NOW we have a PROBLEM with that technique!

If you recall, those kitchen matches would "strike" on a dry rock, on tree bark, on the brass zipper on your britches....and numerous other things......

Today's "kitchen matches" strike ONLY ON THE STRIP on the Box that they COME IN!!!!

So, I figure, ya gotta get the "old-fashioned" kinda "kitchen matches", IF YOU WANNA MAKE 'EM WATERPROOF with hot candlewax!!!

Anyone have any idea WHERE the REAL KITCHEN MATCHES are available?

just my 2 pesos worth .....and.....wanting to know where to get some decent wooden matches...,
    -Bruce-

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

6. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

I gittem at the local gen store, they have the "penly" china brand, found some at Kmart the other day, diamond brand :dance: , found a sporting goods-pkg store what sells the "penny box" strike any wheres though they are about 8 penny's each now bought in a pack of 10 little boxes. :)

7. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

Good luck in finding them. I just found a store in Ohio that sells them, will be cleaning off their shelves this weekend. We're going to hit a few places in Indiana this weekend also to see if they carry the Diamond brand rather than the cheapo Brazilian ones.