watermelons

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 9, 2004.

1. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

This is a post copied from garden web, it has definately helped me, although I am still having a hard time picking my moon and stars at the right time. They seem totally ripe, but then they aren't. grrr. This has worked for the other type of watermelons though.

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips. On the cantaloupe and honeydew the stem and fruit separate easily. Usually the ants and beatles tell me when they are ripe. The sugar baby melons are another story.

3. lyteora

lyteora Well-Known Member

I have lots of watermelons but they are all very small, the largest is slightly bigger than a softball. most are baseball size. How do I improve their size next year, what are they missing? The cantalopes are closer to normal size. Thanks forvthe help.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

How much sun do they get?

5. lyteora

lyteora Well-Known Member

They are in full sun, except for early morning they get full sun all day. It is a spot I have not gardened in before and if it was by previous owners it was many years ago. We have done pretty well as far as rain this year. Maybe I will need to add a lot more compost in spring. I would like to add manure this fall to the whole garden. It is all in a new area, I had to move from my old spot, DH needed a garage, lol. Thanks