Watermelon

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Buckrun, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

Well I did it again. I think every few years I try to grow watermelon. Last year I tried it and it was the usual crop. Very little vines and no melons. My 9 year old daughter loves watermelon so she talked me into it again this year. To my surprise it started growing some long vines. Then we started seeing some melons setting. We watched them grow.

Alissa counted them last week and there were 17. Most were kind of small 8 or 10 dia. But the one we were watching got to about 13 or 14 inch dia. The vines had all started to die off so Saturday night I picked all the watermelons and put them up by the shop. I put the big one in the fridge.

Last night I remembered it was in there so I asked Alissa if she wanted to try it. She jumped up and ran to the kitchen. I got the melon out, I was afraid that it wouldn’t be any good. Well when I cut it open it looked good. So far so good. When I had a couple pieces cut up we dug in. HOLY COW was that good. I have never tasted a watermelon that was that good and juicy. I brought some into work today. The one guy that tried it said it was
    the best home grown watermelon he ever had. :goodjob:

Now the bad part. When I bought the seeds it was kind of one of those last minutes things. I just grabbed a pack of green stripped water melon seeds. I don’t know what verity they are. Oh well.

I will be growing watermelon from now on and I will be babying it. It will be worth the trouble.

Steve

2. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

There is nothing better in the summer than home-grown watermelon! The other day I bought one from wal-mart and threw it away because it was so awful. I should've known.

3. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

You sound like me!!! I have finally grown a watermelon, too. Last year they grew like crazy and then started splitting and rotting. (We did have alot of rain last year.)

This year I had 2 watermelons growing. I watched and watched - looking at the vines and tendrils and the bottom of the melon (to see if it was turning yellow). Finally, I picked the smaller of the two because the top was turning yellow. I set it on the counter until the next day - held my breath - and cut it open. It was perfectly ripe and sweet. Even DH was happy for me. He doesn't eat watermelon, but he sure knows how unhappy I have been.

Both of these melons grew from volunteer plants. They came up in the area where my melons were planted last year. The seeds that I planted this year did not produce any fruit, yet.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Down this way there planting fall watermelons now as well as corn. think I might try some now that the weather is cooling off a bit..

5. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

Good Luck.

I don't know if I would survive if we had the kind of growing season you must have.

I am ready to till everything in for winter. Still have beets pumpkin and tomatoe juice to can.

Steve