Waterline under Driveway

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by luvbritts, Aug 29, 2004.

1. luvbritts

luvbritts Member

I have built a new garage for my cousin and the waterline runs across the new driveway. Now I know that continuous driving across it will drive the frost down to it. Any ideas on how to insulate it? If I dig it deeper, will it matter having a dip in the line? The well has a submersible pump. Thank you in advance.

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We live in Vermont (-35 F for a couple of weeks at a time) and our waterline runs under the driveway, about 4' down, to 6" below the surface as it pops out on the other side. What makes this work is a cistern in the basement which allows for a continuous drip year 'round. Any overflow is routed through our long suffering leach field, but if we balance the drip carefully we usually can maintain a level just below the overflow pipe. In other words, what is coming in is equal to what we use on a daily basis. The cache doesn't have to be all that large, I've seen some very small basins, just large enough to allow the water to keep moving.

We're on a springhouse... I don't know how this would impact a well... but we've never lost water due to a frozen water line. And you've just got to think the frost sinks well below 6" up here in northern New England.

3. poppy

poppy Guest

Around here we just run the waterline thru a 20 ft section of schedule 40 pipe. The air space acts as insulation. May be colder in your area.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We have all our lines (2 inch) buried 4 feet down in clay loam soil. We're in E Ontario and it can get cold _30s for more thna week. We drive heavy farm equipment over it and plenty of cars. Not been a problem in over 30 years but perhaps in a lighter soil it would need protection.

5. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Cover the line with rigid styrofoam insulation.

1" syrofoam = 1 foot earth in frost protection