Waterless Washing Machine?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Grandmotherbear, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Clothes would never feel clean to me unless they were washed in soap and water- the old fashioned way.

I see those "sonic showers" on Star Trek. They use sonic waves instead of water. I would hate them if they came into being. I've just gotta have real water.

3. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

It will probably see use in specialized applications where water is scarce or hard to come by. The space program would love it, 'cause after a while wearing the same coveralls for months they would probably get a bit gamey. Do they have washing machines on the International Space Station, or do they just chuck the old coveralls into the Progress module and put on a new pair? The Navy could probably find a use for them as well on submarines, and perhaps surface ships. People who live in the desert would probably find a use for them as well. Depending on the cost, you might even be able to find one in your hotel room for 'freshening up' your suit after a long plane flight.

If, as some people predict, natural potable water becomes harder and harder to come by, they might even make it into the mainstream. Take that river in China that was poisoned recently, for example, or for that matter New Orleans. You could wash your clothes in bottled water, but it would get rather tiresome and expensive real quick.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks like it is only on paper. Will it ever work?? who knows, The cost will be quite high if it ever works .It is to be built by 2025, It sounds likw A pipedream.

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

In my own opinion, if it smells clean, feels clean and looks clean...it is clean and I really dont care how it got from dirty to clean!

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like a good idea, if it can be brought to the market. I don't know if all clothes, like really grubby dirty ones, would get clean, but it certainly would be a useful appliance.

7. delta9

delta9 Active Member

I would *love* this device! Wonder if it would work for diapers? Ah well, I suspect my childbearing will be long over by the time it's available retail. And I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

I'm all about the sonic shower though. Washing with water dries out my skin. Two or three times a week in the winter is my limit, but it means I can't do much with my hair. A quick sonic shower daily would be great, and a lot less time spent scrubbing hard water deposits off my shower enclosure.