Watering vegetables on really hot days???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by brownthumb, Jul 18, 2006.

1. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

Please excuse my dumb question.....Is it better to water vegetables in the morning or the evening? I've heard it is a bad idea to water during the heat of the day especially in the middle of summer.

2. bgraham

bgraham Well-Known Member

I water mine in the late evening. I think morning would be ok if you used drip irrigation and did not get the leaves wet. Since I use an oscillating sprinkler, I turn it on as the sun is going down.

Beth

3. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Mornings are best - you want the leaves to be dry at night. Having wet plants at night can encourage fungal problems and molds.

If you use drip irrigation right at the soil, it probably won't matter as much when, since the plants themselves will not be getting wet. And as a matter of fact, possibly evening watering would be best then, and you'll lose less to evaporation.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

We were taught the same thing about watering in the middle of the day during a very hot summer, so we always water plants at night when the sun goes down. Gives it all night to soak in and do them good.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

We use soaker hoses so never have to worry about wet leaves. Soaker hoses are extremely handy.

6. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I heard the same thing so I water in the evening, around 7 o'clock since it gets dark around nine. I do water the gardens in the shade first. Best to water so that the soil is wet more than an inch deep every few days; then a light watering everyday.

7. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Best to water so that the soil is wet more than an inch deep every few days; then a light watering everyday.

Absolutely!! Frequent, light watering will train your plants to send their roots to the top inch or two of soil for water, rather than DOWN. That leaves them extremely vulnerable to drying out just from a day or two of hot sun.

8. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

We have to irragate all summer so we have water going most of the day. In this heat just get water to them.

9. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I would have said the opposite. I like to water at night because I think the soil stays moist longer. But you don't want the leaves to be wet at night. So using a sprinkler, it might be best to wait til morning.

Around here, we plant as early as possible, even a little before the last average frost date, and hope to get our crops in before the real heat of summer sets in. So, we are about done with the garden. I could keep the tomatoes alive longer, if I really wanted to keep dumping large amounts of water on them a couple of times a week. But it's just too much to keep up with in this heat. When it gets to this part of the summer, I've picked plenty of vegetables, and I'm concentrating on keeping the little trees alive through their first or second summer.

mary

10. bgraham

bgraham Well-Known Member

Mary,

I read somewhere once that you shouldn't have the leaves wet during the day because the reflection of the sun's rays on the wet leaves could cause them to burn. Is that not correct?

Also, we only water every 2 or 3 days or so, so the plants don't stay wet. So far we have not had any problem with fungus or mold.

thanks,

Beth

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

hi Beth,

I've never heard that. (And I have gardened for many years.) If you're not getting fungus, though, you're doing fine. I only water once or twice a week, but like I said, when it gets this hot, I'm done.

mary

12. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I was taught to water in the late evening...so that's what I do. I've heard about mold and fungus growth occurring,but I've never had that to happen. Never :)

13. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

My plants get wet from dew most nights...

14. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ditto... of course I haven't watered the garden after the first planting this year.

One of the great things about NE Ohio I guess! LOL.

15. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

It's been weeks since I last watered. We had so much rain,I caught barrels full and still haven't had to use any. But,summer isn't over by a long shot :)

16. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

I water in the late afternoon . Around 4pm the raised bed gardens are in shade so I try to water them before 7pm . I water every other day during dry spells . I ddid square foot gardening this year so the plant foilage is making a good canopy to keep the soil moister longer.

17. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

When the plants are little I water every day. Then I back off the watering, in an effort to train them to reach farther into the ground for water.
    My garden turns into a jungle so air circulation is a concern. So I only water when the top few inches of soil are dry. Then in the late afternoon just so the leaves can dry before night. Then it is a good deep watering. But this time of the year i don't concern myseft much with mold as the night time temps are still pretty high.
    I try not to over head water peas or beans, cause they seem to want to mold the worst. I usually use soaker hoses too but got so busy this year I didn't get them installed.

18. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

I like to water in the late afternoon because that is when it usually rains if it does.

19. Daddyof4

Daddyof4 Well-Known Member

For our garden this year, we have started "lasagna gardening" which is simply putting in plenty of compost, layering newspaper over that, then spoiled hay over that. So far, it has been terrific. We have no weeds, the soil stays moist because of the coverings, and as the years progress we continue to layer compost, newspaper, and hay. The vegetables we have gotten are incredible.

In answer to your watering question, water late in the day (after 6 PM), and try not to get the leaves wet. For our tomoatoes, I use a black pvc tube and stick it through the cage to the base of the plant beneath the hay. I then just pour a gallon or so of water into the tube. The leaves stay dry, the soil gets a good soaking, and I don't have to water again for days.

A side note, after reading many gardening books, you should never spray your plants in such a way that is splashes from the ground onto your plants. This is what helps spread various plant deseases. Soaking is always better.

20. PinkBat

PinkBat Well-Known Member

We water at 7 am and again around 8 pm. Having the leaves wet over night has never created a problem with mold and fungus. The dew gets on the leaves at night too.