watering systems for my bunnies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by tim_the_biggen, Apr 12, 2006.

1. tim_the_biggen

tim_the_biggen tim_the_biggen

Ok ,i have a new to (me) question with the mild winter we had here in west Kentucky my bunnies faired real well now that summer is comming, today the temp. was up near 80 degrees, so now keeping the little bunn's cool and watered is going to be the next thing to get done cool got we live rite in the middle of a woods with lots of shade now comes the questions (watering systems) i want to put in a free flow system with metal nipples on pvc pipe with a small tub and float valve from the well . is this the best ? or is there a better idea out there ??? i dont mind the cost just want something that works.

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Do you mean nipples like these http://www.agselect.com/ED/showdetl.cfm?&DID=11&Product_ID=174&CATID=12
    If so, yes this is the best way to water your rabbits. Cheaper in the long run also considering the amount of time saved. Make sure to use a covered container for a tank. If it will be hooked to a constant water supply, then you only need a gallon or big enough for your float valve to fit in and be sure to drill a 1/8" or so breather hole in the lid (ask me how I know this :grump: ). If you have a 1/8" NPT tap you can tap directly into the pipe and save alot on fittings. I install a coupler and drill and tap into that so that it is double thickness. Works great. Also made my own tank by drilling an appropriate size hole and installing a male 1/2" PVC fitting on one side and screwing on with a rubber washer a female fitting on the other side. Works great and costs a tenth of what a breaker tank costs from agselect or anybody else.

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip on using PVC fittings. I had been putting off setting down and ordering. I can see where using a PVC male and a female would work just as well.