Watering in winter?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by organicfarmer, Dec 14, 2005.

1. organicfarmer

organicfarmer Well-Known Member

My son just purchased 3 meat does (is that correct?). They have been in a barn in a sheltered area, but by no means has it been warm (we live in Ontario). What are the best waterers for our cold winters? We homeschool so are home most of the time so changing the water several times a day is no problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Silvia

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I use bottles and bring them (the bottles) in at night. Use warm water and fill only halfway.

3. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

We live in Iowa and use pans that attach to the cages and change them twice a day in the winter. We found the water bottles sometimes crack when frozen.

another thing you can do is give them apples to help keep them hydrated.

good lucK!

4. moonkitten

moonkitten Well-Known Member

Hi Silvia and congratulations on the new does. I live in Ontario as well, and used water bottles the first winter. They froze up pretty quick and once the nipple froze the rabbits couldn't get any water at all. If you are home all day and willing to check/change bottles several times, that might work for you, but I found that crocks were a better solution for me. With an open top crock or bowl, the rabbit can still lick the ice even after the water has started to freeze. It's also easier to just bang the ice out and refill rather than thawing bottles in the house (then you have to have 2x as many bottles).

Good luck

Kat