Watering bees in a cage?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by unioncreek, Jun 22, 2005.

1. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

At work we have some safflower plots that are male sterile and need bees to pollinate them. We have the plants in screen cages that are two feet by 20 feet. We need to supply water for them and someone suggested using a small plastic tub with a screen draped in it so that they have something to hang onto. After we're done with them about 10 days to two weeks we take the screening off and turn them loos.

Is this the best way to provide water for them or should I try something else?

Thanks,
    Bobg

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Give this rubber dish with small stones in it a try. We got the dish at a farm supply store and the stones came from our gardens.
    I tried the screen thing, didn't work for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even tried a bird bath with a flat stone in it with out any luck.
    :D Al

3. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Bees will find their water no matter what you have it in. Putting it in a bowl full of rocks simply gives the bees a place to hang on. Mine water at the chicken waterer, one of the large rubber horse feeder pans with water in it. They land on the edge and walk down to the water.

More interesting to me is "we turn them loose". Do you have a small colony in there, or just a handful of bees? If just a handful of bees, what makes you think they will work?