Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a clear area on the back portion of our property, but there is no water supply available.

We are trying to find ways to get water back there to water plants. Running a hose from the house (well water) is not feasible. So I am hoping to find some ideas on how we can get water delivered.

I was considering a water trough of some sort that would collect rain water and maybe some sort of water pump/hose setup from there. But we鈥檇 need enough rain to fill it. So in the mean time we鈥檇 need to get water back there. 馃槵

thanks!

Registered
We have a clear area on the back portion of our property, but there is no water supply available.

We are trying to find ways to get water back there to water plants. Running a hose from the house (well water) is not feasible. So I am hoping to find some ideas on how we can get water delivered.

I was considering a water trough of some sort that would collect rain water and maybe some sort of water pump/hose setup from there. But we鈥檇 need enough rain to fill it. So in the mean time we鈥檇 need to get water back there. 馃槵

thanks!
How far is it from a water supply?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The distance from water is roughly 660ft at the farthest edge away from water and the closest is maybe 200ft away.
To do the tank idea I鈥檇 have to invest in the tank and trailer. Do they make some premade for say a 3pt hitch on a tractor? I did a quick Google search and didn鈥檛 see anything already rigged up.

we will be mainly watering small crops of a variety of things. Grapes, small area of corn, etc. but mostly during the summer months. And supplemental watering as needed.

Premium Member
You could build a trailer and find a tank for cheap. Or find an old field sprayer and rip the tank off and replace it with a fresh water tank. Lots of ways to do stuff like this on the cheap if you can find the items. Tanks are a dime a dozen. Trailers are harder to find, at least here.

Registered
Would have to think, for less cost you could run pvc pipe that far. You can also purchase plastic pipe in a roll. You would not have to take time to haul water

Premium Member
Would have to think, for less cost you could run pvc pipe that far. You can also purchase plastic pipe in a roll. You would not have to take time to haul water
I agree, no further than that one could run 1鈥 black plastic pipe cheaper than a trailer.

Registered
I鈥檓 picking up 700 feet of Sch 120 tomaro for my well?
I would rather run along the ground 700鈥 with pipe then bore thru rock .
This stuff is tough I would dig it down 18鈥 24鈥 and bury it as you go .
Dig in 50鈥榓t a time .
You could dig this in a day with a 12鈥 bucket on a 8k lb excavator with some one to fight with the pipe . If you ran out a 300鈥 roll in 3/4鈥 you could branch off with 1/2 pipe and cover more area .
You could use black sprinkler line allso ? Nothing to it really the hard part is rolling out the line
maybe a sprinkler company would run the line in for you , they use a little trencher.
Blow the lines out in the fall

Premium Member
A couple of grain gravity wagons could be had from Craigslist. Being all steel, the only thing you'll need to seal up would be the grain chute. (and you could build the outlet piping there...) Haul one, park one. Fill the empty from whatever water source you make or pump from---let gravity do the work watering your plants.

geo

Registered
a) Where are you located? What's your annual rainfall? Here in the MW most farmers don't irrigate and they get 200 bu of corn & 50 bu of beans per ac. Do you need to give extra water?... If I time planting poorly and there's a couple rainless days, I fill several 3 gal bottles and keep delicate seeds or seedlings moist with a watering can-- but that's only 100 ft or so of rows

2) A plot 460 ft long isn't a garden. It's a small farm.

C) Collecting rain water near the plot probably won't work unless you can erect a collecting surface several times larger than the plot itself.

4] If you insist on needing extra water, everyone's idea about a 350 gal tank (available at any farm supply store or online for around $200) --sized ~ 2'x3.5'x4'-- on a trailer will work. Put it on a raised platform so the bottom is 3' above ground and you won't need any pump. Gravity will give you enough power for watering, although it won't exactly flow like a pressure washer.

Registered
I bought a 275 gallon tote for $50 from a dairy supply store. It was used for the soap to clean the milking machines. Rinsed well and add a bit of bleach when I fill. I use the water for showers and washing dishes not drinking. I had the trailer. Keep in mind that water weighs 8 lb per gallon so you won't be able to fill the tote unless you have a very heavy duty trailer.

Running a pipe may have a problem with critters gnawing on it if run on the surface. It's an awefull lot of work to bury it. What's the pressure loss in that long a run?

Premium Member
I don't know what you are trying to accomplish or how much water you will need, but hauling any significant amount of water is very impractical.
It's one thing to keep a couple saplings watered, and a whole different matter to keep a 1-2 acre garden or crop watered. Only 1/4" or rain over an acre = 6788 gallons of water.

If you need much, the only practical solution is to get a well back there or to run a water line from another well, or someplace nearby you can pump and irrigate from.

Registered
Before we had water on our farm, I had an 80 gallon tank strapped to bed of my truck. I'll fill it up at home, drive it over to the farm to water horses and garden. Pain in the tushy, but worked while we were having the water lines dug.

Registered
I would go buy some one hundred foot hoses. I once ran seven hundred feet of hose to water some cattle all summer.

Premium Member
It doesn't sound like lots of watering, more like augmenting during hot/dry months. I'd invest in some kind of water delivery system to the plants (hoses, drip irrigation, etc.). Feed those with one tank on the ground, or partially buried if enough height differences. Feed the tank by any means you want to sign up for:
  • water delivery service - their tank gravity dumps into your garden buffer tank
  • your water well - feed a tank you can mount (trailer, truck, etc.) and drive over your property to the garden tank, and gravity fill the tank on the ground: this saves you having to buy a road-worthy/licensed trailer and all that expense.
Your own delivery tank doesn't have to be as big as the target tank on the garden ground; the ground tank is a buffer, after all. The delivery is sized to how often you want to do delivery trips, and the associated costs.

All my vehicles have 2" receiver hitches, front and back (turns them into tractors, kind of) ... I've put a receiver hitch trailer (carries 500 lbs) on the back of a vehicle, and a small(er) water tank on that, and moved hundreds of gallons in short order, across the 40 acres. I've moved tons of road base the same way, 500lbs at a time. No trailer needed ...

Hope this helps ...

Super Moderator
when we had a community garden plot to supplement our regular garden I had a simple setup that actually fit in the wife's mini van it was a 4x4 at the back, a 2x4 at the front and some 2x4 between the front and back to hold the barrels form wanting to roll side to side , this tipped the 55 gallon poly barrels to flow , a pvc fitting and a valve , the valves were about the most expensive part a stand pipe in the top bung , the valve in the bottom bung and a couple 25 foot sections of hose.

fill it up you couldn't quite fill it all the way , but nearing 700-800 pounds was about all the van could take any way

drive over back right up to the garden plot and pull out my hoses and water , all gravity fed

would work even better in a truck that gives you greater height.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts