Waterers- please help

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Leah IL, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I have been watering our pig in a bucket, which he dumps no matter what I do to secure it in the pen. It also gets filthy dirty and I am constantly changing it. I have checked out waterers online and the only ones I can find cost like $500 and I can't pay that for 1 pig. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do?

He is being kept inside my barn in a pen. We found this pig and don't have adequate fencing for him at this time.

2. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

Is he big enought to reach over a tire? you could try securing a bucket inside a tire, he can't tip it that way but make sure he can reach it

3. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

How funny- I actually TRIED that already :) I bought a flexible rubber bowl and wedged it into a tire so he couldn't nose it out. It worked pretty well, but the water gets so filthy and I was having trouble changing it. Maybe I'll go back to that way again.

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Our pig waterer's are one water heater torched in half with bars welded to the bottom to keep them from tipping, but we haven't had any pigs in Two years now. : (

5. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

A stainless steel pig water nipple is a must! Assuming you have water where you keep your pig, screw a nipple onto the end of an L - shaped pipe and allow only the pipe and nipple to touch the pig! This is important since they will easily eat through any hose you put in there! They may also learn to spray water underneath and create a wallow, so be sure to provide another one for them to cool off in.

6. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

Another suggestion: Get one of those heavy black rubber tubs (they sell them as feeders/waterers) available at feed stores. In the barn, slide half of it into the pen so the pig has access to it and leave the other half outside the pen. If you have a wooden gate or something similar, cut a space just high enough to slide the tub in/out. Makes filling it easy and the pig cannot tip it over. Does that make sense or is it clear as mud??? lol

7. Ebowhunter

Ebowhunter Well-Known Member

I picked up a 32? gal drum at a suplus store - $8 after tax. $5 steel nipple, a hose seal, and a threaded pipe joiner.

Drilled a 3/4" hole in the drum, put the washer on the nipple, threaded the nipple in the hole - not easy, ran the joiner on the nipple - inside the drum.

For $15, I have a system much like Siryet's in a hard plastic drum.

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

smoked cow, I like the pvc for the show pigs too. They also have a tendency to keep the water cooler in the summer than other methods.
    www.geocities.com/gonzalesshowpigs

9. lshields

lshields Member

I love the PVC pipe idea as my pigs are constantly dumping out their water to make a mud hole. To make the waterer, do you put the nipple on the side of the pipe and cap both ends, then attach the pipe directly to the fence?

Would it be possible to make a feeder based on the same concept? Make some kind of flap on the bottom with one side solidly attached to some kind of pivot and the other side pulled up tight with a bungee cord. When they stepped on, our pushed down with their nose, some feed would fall out, and the bungee would pull it back up tight.

After I thought about it, could you just put an open end of the pipe with a small slot cut out directly against the feed pan, with the pipe secured to the fence? Food would slide out of the slot as they ate it.

10. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Glad I could help...and people knew what i was talking about! haha..hope all goes well!
    AJ

11. lshields

lshields Member

This weekend I found a metal drum for $6 and a nipple for $3, so for less that $10 I had a setup. But now I have a few questions:

The drum had had soybean oil in it. I tried to clean it out with soap and water but I know I didn't get it all. Could this hurt my hogs? They've been drinking out of it for a couple of days and they seem to like it.

Yesterday I put about 25 gallons of water in the drum. Do I need to work it out to where I'm putting in clean water every day or two? I'm just worried about it getting stagnate. It's in the shade so the water should stay cool.

I got wormer that's administered through the drinking water. Can I do this through the drum or would it be better to put a bowl of water with the wormer in the pen? Could I put the wormer in milk instead of water since they like milk so much more?

Thanks for your help.