Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with my water pump.

I bought a new water pump, 1/2h with holding tank attached. I took the ejector from the well, changed it to the new one that come with the pump, changed the venturi tube and put the deep well one that came with it in, new foot valve, checked my line thoroughly to see if it was ok, tightened all connections with new clamps slightly heated when I tightened them.

Everything seems fine but the pump will not shut off or pump anything about 20lbs, should shut off at 40 but won't go past the 20lb mark on gauge. The voltage is on the correct setting, 115 in this case. I let the pump build up to the 20 lbs last night and left it over night with the tap closed that feeds house side. There was no leakage of pressure at all overnight, gauge still reads 20lbs so I am thinking the joints are tight.

I am out of things to try and have been frigging with this problem for ages now, anyone who has experience know what could be up? I have set up lots of water pumps and never had this problem. I pulled my line out to check things and it all looked ok, foot valve opened and closed properly. The holding tank is set at 18 lbs, suppose to be 2 lbs less than cut in pressure. Also, my pipes are all slightly up hill so I can't see how air could be trapped and it should have primed ok.

The weather here is getting very cold, it all froze the other night but now we got some rain and I desperately need to get my dirt back in the hole and covered before it freezes again or i'm in big trouble. Any help would be muchly appreciated, perhaps my points were improperly set at the factory, I doubt that but will try it and see what happens as I can't think of another thing to try ....... jim .......in soon to be very cold New Brunswick ....

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I always need lots of information as it is difficult to see the situation from my location. What is the diameter of the well casing? Are you running a single or two pipes into the well? What depth is the foot valve located? I rarely do anything with a shallow well system so someone else can better assist if that is the case. Your problem can be caused by blockage (rust, scale, sand) in the jet itself, the wrong jet and insufficient pump for the depth being pumped. Given the option, a submersible pump should be the pump of choice. The benefits are significant. Get the old pump and jet and compare them to the new setup you have. Look closely at the size of the opening at the jet and see if you observe a major difference between the two. Did you reuse the same pipes that were on the old system? If a two pipe system did you have two different sizes of pipe? I know I am rambling a bit but I cannot conclude other than possibly having the wrong jet why you have the problem.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to have to pull my lines once again from the well. Can't think of anything else to try but have already pulled pipes out twice and couldn't find a thing wrong. I have 2 pipes, same system as I took out only everything new, all fittings, pump, jet was changed for deep well so I know its the right one, I checked out the part number to make sure, small sized hole, the one they say to use after depths of 40 feet. I carefully checked my lines but they are holding pressure at 20 lbs and I don't think they would if there was a problem.
Maybe it can't get enough water to go to 40 lbs. Somehow there must be a small rock or something restricting the water flow, maybe rust. I have 50 feet of pipe is whats always been on it and its never been a problem. Thanks, back at it.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I am already confused! You state you have two pipes...do these pipes go to the water in the casing or do they go to the jet and you have a single pipe down the casing? You state maybe rust is clogging the system and yet you state all is new, that is confusing. There are several methods of installing a jet pump. Please take time and start at the foot valve and give details of everything to the pump. We can fix the pump but I have to understand in detail what is there. PS do you have a valve to close off the pump and tank from the supply to the home? If so, close it off and see if the pressure increases.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help, this is far to frustrating for me, I will figure it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts