water witching

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Dec 29, 2004.

have you tried to witch water?did it work?

1. yes

2. no

3. yes

4. no

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I never believed in water witching until I saw a neighbour do it- so I gave it a try.I took two bronze welding rods[he was a welder] and bent them into an ''L''shape , and holding the shorter ends loosely in my hands ,held the longer ends out in front of me, parallel.WhenI walked over a springor waterline, the two parallel ends crossed.I tried to disprove it by shuting my eyes and walking over known waterlines/springs, butwhen the rods cross,I oipen my eyes and I'm right on top of it.I have tried on other peoples property where they know the waterlines/springs and I hit them.Weird, still can't explain it.People look at you funny[like I used to]

2. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

My dad used to work for the utilities, and at a construction site one of the line crew chiefs said he would "witch" for the underground telephone line. Located it to their satisfaction ... set up where they were sure the line was NOT ... then dug right through it. It caused about $10,000 damage as I recall Pop telling the story. The crew chief tried to tell the supervisor that it worked every time. Right!

I'm a skeptic

ann

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I don't have 'the gift', but have seen it done twice.

When they were digging my pond the crew chief mentioned he could witch water. When I show skepticism he cut a fork out of a willow and quickly found a vein of water which he said would feed the pond. When the trackhoe got to that exact spot they hit a stream of water. The downward force on the fork was so great it broke one of the joints. Absolutely no way he could have done that as I saw he was straining to hold up the tip of the Y. I still have the fork.

Second time the local gas company crew came out to put in a gasline. I mentioned I had a waterline buried in the yard. Using the bent rods he located it within about a foot or so.

4. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I have seen my father-in-law and wife both use welding rods and be able to find water pipes. When I tried it, nothing happened. It seems some people can do it and others can't. I'm a believer.

5. ratherbefishin

well,I gotta admit I was the biggest skeptic going [and let that opinion be known]until I tried it-matter of fact, that;s how it all got started, my neighbour showed me these two bronze welding rods cross when he stepped across a water line, and I said ''that's crap, here let me try it''...and sure enough, it worked for me too, and I set out to disprove it by trying it out on a number of known water sources[ but unknown to me]so, I reluctantly had to admit it worked.I've heard about all sorts of other stuff, electrical lines ore bodies etc, but am pretty skeptical about that.AsI said, it makes no sense,and I can't explain it, but I can do it.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I witched the spot where I wanted the driller to place the well and cap.
    It worked out to my satisfaction. I was taught by an old time plumber on the coat hanger witching technique. With practice I found it works. and it does.

7. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I tried to witch out my well line. It didn't work. Of course, I was pressed for time, and I was trying to teach myself how as I was doing it. A friend of mine once burried a bottle of homebrew in his back yard and said that who ever found it could drink it. I wasn't able to find the beer, but I was able to locate a burried power line. I didn't actually dig it up, but was told about it after I found it. The person who did find the bottle found it on the first try. I've also heard tell of people witching out maps with a bob. I've never tried that, so I couldn't tell you how effective it is.

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

My mother has witched their wells, using the technique described by Ken with the willow branch. She was told years ago by the man who taught her that the ability to do it was a gift from God, and she should never charge for it. She took his admonition to heart, and has always considered it that.
    mary

9. ratherbefishin

well,I;ve heard it described as dabbling in the occult to a gift of God.I don't know what it is,but probably something to do with magnetic fields and some people being more sensitive to it than others.As I said- Iwas the biggest skeptic around until I tried it.Still doesn't make sense.

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

was taught to witch with two pieces of a coat hanger . witched out tile lines water pipe and neigbours well .then tried to find our water line to my bro. hit that one dead wrong!15 feet of digging with a pick and shovel! still my dw works for a puc and some of their locatesthat they have done by others have been dead wrong too like the gas person saying heres the line and it being ten feet over where the hoe dug down for a water break . glad that gal was not there! would have been a short lynching! water and sewer operators have very little sense of humour when faced with a blow torch in the middle of the nite cause some one didnt know how to operate ther line locater! :haha:

11. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

""well,I;ve heard it described as dabbling in the occult to a gift of God.I don't know what it is,but probably something to do with magnetic fields and some people being more sensitive to it than others.As I said- Iwas the biggest skeptic around until I tried it.Still doesn't make sense.""

It sure is a strange sensation when those rods come alive in your hands, isn't it?
    It sure took me by surprise when it happened first time.

12. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

What I'd like to know is why the poll has two questions, but will take only one answer???

13. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

I watched an older gentleman witch water for a neighbor. The neighbor was amazed that he only took about 15 minutes to find the right spot. The well digger gave a 50-50 shot that they would find good water and predicted 400 feet. They hit wet sand at 25 feet, good water at 50, stopped driving the well casing at 85. The neighbor was thrilled. I know the older gentleman well enough to know that 1) He has seismic maps of the area and knows were every rock seam is in the neighborhood, and 2) he walked directly to an Oregon Ash and said drill here. An Oregon Ash is a "water tree" in our area and never grows more than 100 feet from water. They may not have found good water, but there was zero chance that they were not going to at least find a small spring there, and he didn't need his willow fork to find it either :).

14. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

When I was a kid my parents were going to drill a new well. The drilling guy first brought out an older gentleman who witched for water. He asked about water in the area including wells on neighboring properties (all sulfur). He walked around a little while and when the stick (Y shaped branch) pointed down, he told the driller where to drill and how deep. That well was the only sweet water around and worked great all the years we lived in that house (6 people). Would like to be all scientific and say it can't be so but it's hard not to believe when you've seen it in action. I walked around with a stick like that and couldn't get anything out of it but my sister seemed to be able to find water too, even when we took her to unfamiliar places. It is possible that you have it or you don't. It is also possible that some of us just aren't as patient, in tune, whatever.

15. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

As an aside to this topic. I know of wells on properies with river frontage and had to drill 300 ft. to get water.
    My well is on top of the hill with no features or specific water seekiing roots of any sort of specif tree or plant. That well is 140 ft. with a heavy flow rate.
    I witched along back and forth down the hill and could nearly map out which might be an underground river.
    Down the hill is swamp and wet with ash trees growing, because they like wet conditions. There's no guarantee anything there for water except to dig a surface well. The old well here is a surface well and dries down periodically. That's why I had the deep well drilled into the 'vein' for a guaranteed flow and not run low in dry spells. So far, so good after 14 years.