Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find water witching to be just a little bit creepy? Thanks but now thanks, I will take my chances with putting the well where it is most convienient.

I also know a lady that witches her chicks. You hold a needle suspended by a thread over the chick, if it moves in a circle it's female, if it makes a cross it's male. (Still creepy)

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
I've never learned how to witch a well ( easy water hereabouts), but I can find buried water and electrical lines, and I can sex chicks.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I grew up drilling wells. I was always around well drillers and some believed in it and some didn't.
I had one uncle that drilled swore by a peach tree limb. I know daddy drilled a few dry wells that it took a couple sticks of dynamite to get water in them while uncle Buck drilled wells just a few hundred feet away and hit water maybe a hundred or so feet sooner.
He tried to teach me but I just couldn't get the hang of it. It is something about the magatiasm(spelling??) of the water vane.
I do believe it works if a person has the feel in his or her hands for it.
I drilled one well in hard rock country, and I do mean hard rock, that went 299 feet.
Uncle Buck drilled the well next door, (maybe 500 feet away) and was gone and the well was only 140 feet. :shrug: It might have been 160 feet. I'm not sure now, but I know what mine was. It was actually 299' and 8". Daddy wouldn't let me drill the last 4" and I wanted to be one of the first to make a 300 foot well so I remember that very well.
Some days I didn't cut but 7 or 8 feet in a whole day on that well. I busted a $375 drill bit up right after I got to the really hard rock letting it hit to hard and by then Uncle Buck had dropped his derrick and gone home.
He got water and never hit the really hard rock so go figure.
I believe in it, if the person has the hands for it. I just never got a grip on it and Uncle Buck has been gone for a while so I guess I never will learn it.
That's just my 2 cents worth.
Dennis

·
Registered
28 Posts
Every living thing has an electrical current. Some people are just able to tune into them better than others. Kind of like radio stations. I open my mind to it and revel in it's curious nature, but I don't think it's creepy. :)
Cheers,
leslie

·
Dutch Highlands Farm
1,642 Posts
No matter how thin you slice it, its still baloney.
There is no science to it, there is nothing to it.
James Randi will give $1 million to anyone who can do it and repeat it. His money is safe.
Now, the method that really works is the Slung Cat. Grab a cat by the tail, swing it 6 and 2/3 times around your head, then let go. Where it lands is where to dig. 100% verifiable. Used by almost all the well drillers around here, also by the folks up on the North Slope in Alaska.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've recently started dowsing with a pendulum, same principle as dowsing chicks for sex with a needle and thread. It's not the type of thing I thought I'd ever get into, but it's turned out to be pretty fascinating. And the idea of having feeling in the hands for it is pretty apt. While I'm dowsing my hand positively tingles. Much like the feeling of awakening chi (as in tai chi). :shrug:

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Christiaan said:
No matter how thin you slice it, its still baloney.
There is no science to it, there is nothing to it.
James Randi will give $1 million to anyone who can do it and repeat it. His money is safe.
He is a fraud. I've got $5000. that says I can do it. You a betting man? We will pick a panel of HT members that we both agree upon to set up the rules and witness the event.

Put up or.........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Honestly people... Divining? Even the most cursory understanding of how groundwater works tells you that anybody can pick any spot and, drilling deep enough, will probably hit water. There is no science behind divining. Give me a driller willing to drill a thousand holes, and put me head-to-head with a diviner divining a thousand well sites, and I say we come out even on the success scale. The only difference is that I'll be faster because I don't have to walk around believing in the power of a silly stick.

Tinknal: Of course you can do it. But so can I, and so can anybody else. We've got an equal chance.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I witched my own well in a convenient spot, had the well drilled in that spot, got a good flow of water. Took about half an hour. That's all that really matters. :shrug: Sure, one might chance drilling anywhere, and might get water...or not. One might also NOT get water by witching, either. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Madroaster said:
Honestly people... Divining? Even the most cursory understanding of how groundwater works tells you that anybody can pick any spot and, drilling deep enough, will probably hit water. There is no science behind divining. Give me a driller willing to drill a thousand holes, and put me head-to-head with a diviner divining a thousand well sites, and I say we come out even on the success scale. The only difference is that I'll be faster because I don't have to walk around believing in the power of a silly stick.

Tinknal: Of course you can do it. But so can I, and so can anybody else. We've got an equal chance.
Can you sex poultry? The 5 grand is up for grabs. Swear I won't lay a finger on the chicks.

Can you locate buried lines? Same deal, 5 Gs. Come on big talker, easy 5 large just waiting for you here.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
I don't know how well it works, or why. I've done it using two pieces of wire, and something caused the wire to move over the same spot on several different occasions.

I tried moving, and was able to draw a straight line through the points where the wires moved. Coming from the other direction, the same thing happened a few feet away, once again making a straight line parallel to the other.

I have no idea what caused it, or if water had anything to do with it. We did drill the well there and we have plenty of water, but I suspect that we could have done that just about anywhere and had the same result. :shrug:

·
Registered
56 Posts
tinknal said:
Can you locate buried lines? Same deal, 5 Gs. Come on big talker, easy 5 large just waiting for you here.
There's an easy 5 grand, but it'd be mine when we're all said and done. Unfortunately, as you can see, I'm in Korea. When I'm closer, we can do this if you really want. I'm quite serious.

But nobody from HT is going to set up the experiment. We'll choose impartial scientists to design and run the experiment, and we'll have the honor of submitting the results to peer-reviewed science journals. Drilling is expensive, though. Who's paying for that? There'll be lots of it going on...

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Madroaster said:
There's an easy 5 grand, but it'd be mine when we're all said and done. Unfortunately, as you can see, I'm in Korea. When I'm closer, we can do this if you really want. I'm quite serious.

But nobody from HT is going to set up the experiment. We'll choose impartial scientists to design and run the experiment, and we'll have the honor of submitting the results to peer-reviewed science journals. Drilling is expensive, though. Who's paying for that? There'll be lots of it going on...
Buk buk bawwwwk!

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
We can sex poultry for the price of 100 chicks. We can do water and electrical lines for the price of an underground locating service. You are purposely making this harder to protect your billfold.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Madroaster said:
Neibor and I located a well on TOP of a hill where there is no indication of water flow. Well diggers told us that there was not a chance in H.... that there would be water there. Neighbor told us that it would be first water at 65 feet, good water at 85 feet. Been running that well for 4 years....
It's common for people who don't understand something to dismiss it as baloney.......

·
Registered
56 Posts
tinknal said:
We can sex poultry for the price of 100 chicks. We can do water and electrical lines for the price of an underground locating service. You are purposely making this harder to protect your billfold.
I'm not talking about chicks or electrical lines. I'm talking about water. I'm not making anything hard at all. I would love to settle divining.

As to the chicks, I'm game for that as well, but the same conditions apply. Scientists design and run the experiment and we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Madroaster said:
I'm not talking about chicks or electrical lines. I'm talking about water. I'm not making anything hard at all. I would love to settle divining.

As to the chicks, I'm game for that as well, but the same conditions apply. Scientists design and run the experiment and we'll see what happens.
Obviously, your reading comprehension is lacking or you would realize that I have no experience in witching wells. As far as the chickens, you well, are a chicken. We don't need a scientist to design a test concerning a 50% probability on previously professionally sexed birds. This is simple math. We can increase the number to 200 birds. I'll pay for them and raise them afterward.

·
None of the Above
1,742 Posts
tinknal said:
Can you sex poultry? The 5 grand is up for grabs. Swear I won't lay a finger on the chicks.

I've witched a few things before with a pendulum and rods.
It's really kind if strange but it is for real and not something that I talk alot about.
I'm about to tap my water line to put in hydrants.
I'll see if I still have the knack to find the main line.
I can do it, it's a personal thing though.
I haven't tried it on chicks though. Good suggestion.
I'll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
I even have a simpler test. We each purchase 10 1 oz ingots of solid gold. We go to a field with 100 1 gallon pails of sand. You bury an ingot under 20 of the pails of sand. I come and chose 20 piles to keep, any piles of sand I do not chose, you can keep. Random odds are overwhelmingly in your favor.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.