Water well

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Apr 12, 2005.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

My friend went down into his water well. It is about 25-feet deep, with 36-inch in diameter concrete curbs. After pumping the water out, he started pulling out the droped in objects. At the botom of the concrete curbs, upright boards were side by side going down into the sandy bottom. He now wants to get a laborer to dig down further to increase his water depth. The water is comming in above the bottom. Anybody know why the wood boards would be put at the bottom of the concrete curbs?

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

first off ,no one should go down in a well of any sort. methane and other gases can accumulatethat will kill in seconds. his best bet is to call a well driller and bore a hole in the middle of the casing. many people die every year from climbing down into holes with out breathing apperatice

3. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

they may the screeing or the way they keep the well from colapasing while digging it the first time, but do follow the advice of Ford major, and use some type of fresh air supply, the last thing you need is a 25' deep grave,

for saftey and sanation you may be better off to have a new one drilled and fill that one in, as it sounds like a potental trap to some one,

4. East Texas Pine Rooter

You office boys better get back to work. Down here in the south we have to go down and clean water well often

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

office worker? only office i see is the docs office!! been farming way to long to play dumb. wife is a water/waste water op. ,one of the first things they are taught is not to go in any hole without breathing apperatus and lift lines. send your buddys address so we can send flowers! over the years have heard of lots of rescues from wells down south

6. East Texas Pine Rooter

Well back to the original question. I read on the forum a couple of years ago about someone telling about wood boards put at the bottom of a water well at the botom, and then brick, or concrete curbs up to the top of the well. Were talking about 25-feet hand dug water well, with 36-inch concrete curbs. I guess methane gas coud form in the botom. It also forms on top of the ground over old abandoned city garbage dumps. I read a article aboust some obiece man dying his one room appartment from methane gas. It is deadly.