Water Well

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moore_farm, Jun 12, 2006.

1. moore_farm

moore_farm Well-Known Member

Where can I find some instructions on building a hand pump water well.

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

There are very shallow, pitcher pumps, that can't draw water from more than 12 feet deep - and shallower would be much better. Typically need priming.

There are better hand pumps that go 25 or so feet deep, getting water from there.

Then there are pretty expensive hand pumps than go 100 or more feet deep, with a thicker pipe, & a rod down the middle of the pipe, and the piston is at the bottom. These can be kinda tedious to get a lot of water - you are lifting a lot of water in a pipe that long after all, but work well.

So, now, what kind of water do you find where you live? Can you pound in a sand-point & hit water in 10 feet; or do you need to dig a shallow well to 30 feet or so, 3 feet across to get a pool of accumulated water to draw from; or do you need a deep well, like a 5 inch drilled hole 150-250 feet deep?

Many different kinds of wells, depends on the regulations & the type of water veins you can hit at your location.

--->Paul

3. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

4. moore_farm

moore_farm Well-Known Member

I dont think I will have to go far as there is one spot and it has caryfish holes there. As they dig down to the water and I know they can go to far.