water well ouput

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ajoys, Jun 15, 2004.

1. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

If you have a well, 4" diameter, that puts out 4GPM and the well goes to 500ft with a static level at 230ft, are there any formulas or rules of thumb to figure out if you will have enough capacity to deal with "high requirement" times in the household. Say the house is 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2 adults, 2 kids.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I think that with a slow well you really need a tank to pump the water to then a pressure pump on that for the house.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You have adequate water for a family your size. I have a deep well that is around 720 feet bore depth with a static level of around 40 feet and it has only 3 and 1/2 GPM but with the storage in the well plus a large 86 gallon bladder tank it provides water nicely for 5 rental moblile homes. The tenants are not permitted to water the lawns but otherwise no restrictions. For general info, the pump for this well is on a separate power meter and it costs only 16 to 18 dolllars a month for electricity.

4. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

I started to do some calculations and when you look at the storage in the well, water heater when taking showers, pressure tank etc.... there should be plenty for normal household use.

Then I found this website, http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/water/pubs/pdfs/fctsht35.pdf
    and ran the numbers. The amount of GPM needed with my usage and water storage in the well comes out to exactly what the well produces. So according to this, even in peak period of usage I should still be OK.

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

4 Gpm don't sound like much till you really look at the numbers

4 GPM

240 Gallons per hour

5760 Gallons A Day!!!!!

Now to find a water heater to keep up.

mikell

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

mine is 260 feet deep and puts out a variable flow, due to a failing pump of 5 gal to 7 gal a minute.

7. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a well that puts out 4 gallons a mintue then put in a holding tank for the high peak times.

Mrs Whodunit

8. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Anyone thought about using a solar pump?

9. Joy in Eastern WA

Joy in Eastern WA Well-Known Member

Wow, and I was concerned about our new well that we just put in with it's 17 GPM. Maybe I shouldn't be too concerned after all! We are installing a 2 horsepower pump along with a 119 pressure tank. The well is 360 feet deep with static level at 280.

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Glad everyones getting happy with their wells. My place in Montana you could get about 20 gallons per hour. A 1000 gallon storage tank never droped below half and the system is still working as far as I know.

mikell

11. A lot of windmils (solar pump...) have been used for moving water. :)

For a deep well, you need quite a few amps, plus you need water not always when the sun is shining. It would be a 'special' arrangement to make it work out at an affordable cost.

--->Paul