Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our future home site has no water the local company wants 3,300 to set a water meter near the mainline where ever that may be I have an appt set up to find out. To bore under road and additional 625.00 then a min charge of 32.00 monthly even before any water is used or a plumber runs lines from meter to homesite. Also a 2.50 charge to pay all my bills for the rest of my life.
So we’re thinking we want to have a well drilled and know nothing about it. My grandpa told me I could have a well for 7k-10k up front and never have any bikes charges again. So now my question is what do I need to ask companies when shopping around for someone to make it all happen. I’m clueless. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
25,070 Posts
#1 What is a bike charge?
#2 Does Grandpa know anything about witching a well?
#3 How many drillers are in your area?
I had bad luck with a driller in Okla. I told him I had a G note. He charged $10 a foot then. He went down 100ft, which ate up the G note, and hit salt water. Packing up he told me he had hit good water at 30ft, but wanted to hit a bigger stream. Well, I was hauling water, and anything that I would have gotten would be better than what I then had. At least he coulda asked me whether I wanted to stay at 30ft or keep drilling. There was only one driller that I knew of in the area. I had him out again. I witched where I wanted him to drill. He finally convinced me that there was nothing there and went near a place where he had drilled an indian well. He drilled there and hit water, so he said. I couldn't afford to pipe it to the house for a couple years, and when I could I found out the neighbors, whose own well wasnt all that good had filled my pipe up to within 30ft of the top with dirt.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,462 Posts
What part of Texas are you in?

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
Our future home site has no water the local company wants 3,300 to set a water meter near the mainline where ever that may be I have an appt set up to find out. To bore under road and additional 625.00 then a min charge of 32.00 monthly even before any water is used or a plumber runs lines from meter to homesite. Also a 2.50 charge to pay all my bills for the rest of my life.
So we’re thinking we want to have a well drilled and know nothing about it. My grandpa told me I could have a well for 7k-10k up front and never have any bikes charges again. So now my question is what do I need to ask companies when shopping around for someone to make it all happen. I’m clueless. Thanks in advance.
Here are some links to look at, they have several resources to find out info on well drillers, well quality, aquifer locations, etc.

http://www.twdb.texas.gov/groundwater/data/doc/TWRSRS_QuickReference.pdf

http://twon.tamu.edu/resources/

http://www.twdb.texas.gov/groundwater/aquifer/index.asp

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I meant bill charges my phone does spell check lol. My grandpa has had the same well on his place for 60 years while I’m really unsure how much he actually knows about the process I will say he is the jack of all trades and a very wise man for his age however these days he is up in age and maybe not the best person to ask 1,000 questions to. That stinks you had a bad experience with your place I hope nothing like that happens to me that’s why I hope so get as much knowledge as I can about the process so I don’t get screwed over when the time come. I know prices can vary depending on location how far they have to drill etc that’s why my grandpa said 7k-10k I’m figuring my budget on the 10k to be on the safe side
#1 What is a bike charge?
#2 Does Grandpa know anything about witching a well?
#3 How many drillers are in your area?
I had bad luck with a driller in Okla. I told him I had a G note. He charged $10 a foot then. He went down 100ft, which ate up the G note, and hit salt water. Packing up he told me he had hit good water at 30ft, but wanted to hit a bigger stream. Well, I was hauling water, and anything that I would have gotten would be better than what I then had. At least he coulda asked me whether I wanted to stay at 30ft or keep drilling. There was only one driller that I knew of in the area. I had him out again. I witched where I wanted him to drill. He finally convinced me that there was nothing there and went near a place where he had drilled an indian well. He drilled there and hit water, so he said. I couldn't afford to pipe it to the house for a couple years, and when I could I found out the neighbors, whose own well wasnt all that good had filled my pipe up to within 30ft of the top with dirt.

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
Sorry I meant bill charges my phone does spell check lol. My grandpa has had the same well on his place for 60 years while I’m really unsure how much he actually knows about the process I will say he is the jack of all trades and a very wise man for his age however these days he is up in age and maybe not the best person to ask 1,000 questions to. That stinks you had a bad experience with your place I hope nothing like that happens to me that’s why I hope so get as much knowledge as I can about the process so I don’t get screwed over when the time come. I know prices can vary depending on location how far they have to drill etc that’s why my grandpa said 7k-10k I’m figuring my budget on the 10k to be on the safe side
That's a fair start. I'm in the NC mountains and it takes a deep well thru rock to get water but $5-$6K usually does the job.
It's all up to how good the well driller is and a little luck. Those links I gave are where you can check out well driller companies, pros and cons, but I think you have to register to look at that info. You can check it out at your leisure.
Talking to lots of neighbors is a good way to find out the good and bad. Use the knowledge and mistakes that others have done already.
I know of 1 good company around here and tell people that ask to call them. They did ours and many others around here. They are good fast and fair, so they've earned the reputation.

·
38,462 Posts
I am outside of Austin. I just paid $11,000 to get an existing water well going again.

You might want to budget $20,000, depending on your aquifer.

Reactions: Txyogagirl

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you talk to the neighbors see how deep they had to go to their wells and what it cost and who they used.
I love your answer however we don’t know anyone but hope to meet people soon. We wont have many neighbors because we’re pretty far out in the sticks. We currently live about 40 mins away from the land and aren’t to familiar with that area yet. We only selected that located based off school district. Need to find a good church home so we can meet people because our kids are still babies.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will check those links thanks. Yea I assume prices really change based off location. I hope to meet locals to ask I guess because when I’m searching online I’m not finding many companies super close. There are 3 within 50 miles and one I have sent online message and called but haven’t got any returned calls the other 2 had no reviews so I didn’t contact them.

QUOTE="farmrbrown, post: 8073410, member: 321203"]That's a fair start. I'm in the NC mountains and it takes a deep well thru rock to get water but $5-$6K usually does the job.
It's all up to how good the well driller is and a little luck. Those links I gave are where you can check out well driller companies, pros and cons, but I think you have to register to look at that info. You can check it out at your leisure.
Talking to lots of neighbors is a good way to find out the good and bad. Use the knowledge and mistakes that others have done already.
I know of 1 good company around here and tell people that ask to call them. They did ours and many others around here. They are good fast and fair, so they've earned the reputation.[/QUOTE]

·
38,462 Posts
Cleaning out the well bore. Running new pump and wiring. Installing the control box, etc. Pressure tank, etc. I didn’t include the cost of running electricity to the well or the plumbing to connect the well to the house.

Go to the closest feed store. Make friends there. Ask about water well folks.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I had my well drilled in 2015, using a "Cable Pounder" drill as opposed to a Bore Driller. This fractures bedrock and improves water flow & recovery times, versus a bore drill which has to go on average 20% deeper and usually costs more. Our costs were $35 per foot drilled, 280 feet deep, 6" Casing from 2' above grade to 10' deep into bedrock (ours is banded granite) cost an extra $10 per foot. Total Bill was around $14K with the extras.

Prices Vary everywhere as do the requirements, rules & regs.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,299 Posts
I'll bet there are a million well drilling horror stories.
My well is 60 feet deep and has clear, clean water as fast and as long as I can pump it. Three miles away, a guy built a house and they went 400 feet without hitting water. When they did the flow is about 5 gallons an hour. Another guy hit salt water and has to pull water from the river and run it through a filtration system.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Trinity,TX here and when i bought my place it had a well on it. I had it all fixed and put in a lot of new parts, My well head had a faded stamp on it. I called them up and turns out they drilled it and they told me everything about it, Mine is 98 ft deep and was put in 1996. They where the ones that had serviced it all that time. They said to put a new well in would be 3k-6k. Also I would get a water sample from a neighbor and have it tested if possible.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have another question pertaining to wells. Today I spoke with my plumber and he said the well water cane make clothing yellow after a while bc high iron in the water is that true?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts