Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just spent the last hour or so channeling water away from my flooded vegetable garden that is coming between the slats from my neighbors wood privacy fence. The water used to go in a ditch through his yard into mine. Somehow, it now floods his yard, and is flooding mine.

I need advice on how to stop or redirect it as speaking over 2-3 years to the neighbors hasn't worked.

The area that's flooding is the only flat area with enough sun to grow my garden. I cannot move the vegetable garden.

My neighbor is on the same hill and the water from his land comes from the top of the hill, through his yard, then through mine to another neighbors where it ponds.

There is an area that used to be a ditch to move the water from one side of my yard to the other, but is no longer used as the direction of the water from his yard has spread out. I'd like to move the water back to that ditch.

How do I stop the water coming through the boards in his fence to go to where the ditch is?
Sand bags? Bags of Cement? I was eyeing some 10 x 20 rolled flashing thinking I could bury part and nail it to his fence, then caulk it.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm really frustrated. And wet!

Reactions: snowlady

·
Registered
128 Posts
Does it run into a specific area? Could you do an inlet and then pipe it over to the ditch from the inlet?

·
Saltine American
6,733 Posts
What is the length of your garden on the side the water comes through, distance from the fence, and is it level?

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Premium Member
41,573 Posts
I’m thinking a small dam along the fence to divert the water. Something as simple as a few planks on edge, or even some concrete curbing.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the length of your garden on the side the water comes through,

The length of the fence where the water comes through is about 20 feet.

distance from the fence, and is it level?

The water runs about 20 - 25 feet out into the yard. It's mostly level, maybe a 3 inch drop diagonally from the fence. It's created a new stream through the yard when it rains.

·
Saltine American
6,733 Posts
Can you dig a ditch to channel the water to the existing ditch?
If you have some old firewood, 4 x 4s, or anything like that, pack the dirt u take out of the ditch against them to make a berm. You shouldn't have to dig too deep.
I have a similar problem in my yard and plan to till a straight path and then rake the soil .against a row of old firewood.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I wouldn't try to prevent it from coming through the fence. Someday the fence will have to be replaced, and adding something to it will just make that harder than it needs to be. I would dig a shallow ditch along the inside of the fence and divert it to where ever it will leave your property.

·
Registered
386 Posts
French Drain. If it’s surface runoff you can trench it just deep enough to shunt it off elsewhere. It all depends on exactly where you can divert it , how far what’s in the way ect. are the only issues.
Dry wells are easily made too if needed by just using a plastic tarp wrapped around a large pile of crushed stone. Just run the drain to it. Nothing fancy or expensive necessary. Just make sure your drain has a bit of down pitch and youre good. There’s lots of good ideas on YouTube showing this.

·
Premium Member
26,245 Posts
I have a similar problem. The drain pipe where the water used to flow has heaved and backs up. I retrenched the worst part (the trench on top had filled with leaves and run-off soil for various reasons) and am laying retaining wall blocks on my side of the trench.

My run-off water runs through my shaded terrace garden where my raspberries grow. Moles and voles have dug tunnels through the area which makes it worse.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
Check with a lawyer first. Why? Nearly every community law since Merry Olde England recognizes that water runs downhill, but forcing it off its natural downflow (as your neighbor has seemed to do) is illegal if it causes that water to flow onto a neighbor unnaturally. If by your default, it becomes your water, what will you do with it?

geo

·
Premium Member
9,158 Posts
Water flows down hill, if he hasn’t done something major to change the water flow it’s your problem.

tile underground is expensive, but done right it is sight unseen and works for the next 100 years.

a trench, shallow valley waterway is often far more effective at moving water than a ridge, or dam. Water follows the low spots, it gets interrupted by high spots. A small shallow trench will make the water happily flow where you want it most all the time. A dam will block off the angry water but it will always be looking for a way to build up and over top your dam and wash it away.

a dam is a whip; a shallow waterway is a carrot to flowing water. Much more success with a carrot.

typically water looks like a huge problem, but a small tile or a very shallow level trench will be moving that water 24 hours a day out of your way, and a grassed waterway trench can be quite shallow and unobtrusive.

on my farm we work on dealing with water from 40 acres or 300 acres. It sounds like you have a very small issue (size wise, not importance wise!) there, but how much water are we talking, how big an area does it come from, and how deep, fast, or often is it a problem?

we really can’t help too much until we understand the size of the problem and scope of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts