Water supply questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Greg, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg Member

I want to grow crops like corn + other vegetables on 1/4 acre. Our well produces 7 gpm.

- How much water is needed per day? (This is in CA with zero rain in summer.)

- The property borders a creek, so how could I take water straight out the creek? The garden area is about 200 yards from the creek. Would there be problems with mud etc. if we have a tank because it runs low in summer.

Thanks in advance for advice.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Greg, welcome to the boards. First, find out if you have water rights to the creek. If not, then forget it, because it will cost too much in the long run. If you have water rights then get a good irrigation pump and have at it. YOu can get pumps that run on electric or gas.

You will need much less water if you mulch heavily than otherwise. Also, flood irrigation or drip irrigation will use less water than a sprinkler. So it is hard to be precise on water useage.

3. Greg

Greg Member

Thanks Cyngbaeld. I will check into water rights.

4. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

First, check your well permit. Many well permits do not allow for out door use, and are issued for indoor use only. If this is the case,you may be able to repermit your well on order to get ourdoor use added, however many states require you to obtain Augmentation Water to mitigate the increased use.

Really, it may be easier to apply for "surface water rights" for the creek and pump it to your corn. Since you are realitively close to the stream (within 500 feet), you have return flows back to the source of water, so mitigating your consumpive use should be minimal.

Give a call to the CA Department of Water Resources to really get your questions answered: this is their website, you will find it very interestin. http://wwwdwr.water.ca.gov/